Temperatures?

PSLIMO

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I just moved my 4 1/2 year old leopard into her new 12' x 4' winter enclosure. I have the floors set at 77 degrees and have additional heating in the table. After Shelly settled in her favorite spot to chill out at during the day is only 77 degrees??? The temps range from 77 to 95+ degrees and I'm assuming the tort knows best when they have that wide of a range and want's to spend most of the day in a small area that's 77. Maybe overall temps above 80 should be discussed.

This pic should explain the temp gradients better. Shelly's eating in the pic and it's 80 degrees by her food and water dish.

temps.jpg

Last edited:

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wales
How are you heating the floors in the table?

PSLIMO

5 Year Member
Hi Yossarian,

My house has zoned radiant heat and that 600 sq foot utility room has it's own zone so I can heat it independent from the rest of the house.

Phil

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Hi Yossarian,

My house has zoned radiant heat and that 600 sq foot utility room has it's own zone so I can heat it independent from the rest of the house.

Phil

Are you talking about underfloor heating?

PSLIMO

5 Year Member
Yes,

I live in the Chicago-land area and radiant in floor heat in combination with forced air is the way to go. Since the floors are heated the temps remain very constant so the area Shelly chooses to spend most of the day at is a steady 77 degrees. This is when the daytime lighting is on raising the temps at the other ends of the enclosure she chooses a small cooler area for a good part of the day when not basking.

Is it possible that a small cooler than the rule of no less than 80 degrees in leopards enclosures needs to be revisited as long as there's always warmer areas available and a separate hide at a constant 80+ degrees?

Phil

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Constant 80 is more important for young ones. I have adults and they have several temps. High 80-95 most areas and low of about 65-75 at night in one area. They are free to choose where they want to go. As long as they have the warm temps to get too they should be fine
The only time I intervene is if they are constantly in the cooler end. Then I will make them move to the warm side. That doesn't happen often.

PSLIMO

5 Year Member
That's what I was hoping to hear a voice of reason. I have to think there's a reason Shelly wants to be cooler at times and like you said "free to choose where they want to go" and there's always a 95+ zone.

Phil