Finally Building outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Arizona
Alright so finally we are building Boulders outdoor enclosure. We want it to be secure and big enough to house him for a year or so, then he can mostly have the run of the backyard while supervised. Anyway, I just wanted all of your input before we go to home depot Friday.

My thoughts are: wood sides, with a framed and hinged chicken wire top. We will buy organic soil and cypress mulch, plant saucers (pool), planters(hides), I already have seeds and plants growing. I will be hosing down the enclosure 2x a day and will be buying some kind of bush for shade. We have some tiles in the garage for a basking spot. Am I forgetting anything? Thanks for the help :D

Boulderntable020.jpg

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
wrmitchell22 said:
Alright so finally we are building Boulders outdoor enclosure. We want it to be secure and big enough to house him for a year or so, then he can mostly have the run of the backyard while supervised. Anyway, I just wanted all of your input before we go to home depot Friday.

My thoughts are: wood sides, with a framed and hinged chicken wire top. We will buy organic soil and cypress mulch, plant saucers (pool), planters(hides), I already have seeds and plants growing. I will be hosing down the enclosure 2x a day and will be buying some kind of bush for shade. We have some tiles in the garage for a basking spot. Am I forgetting anything? Thanks for the help :D

Boulderntable020.jpg

I think you got it dont forget pic's when your done :p

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Awfully cute little fella.
Someone suggested in the past that you have have the store cut up a 4x8 piece of plywood at 16" high, so you have three 8' pieces (or 24" and 2 pieces of you want to bury it more). You can go from there, expand,double the amount, etc., but the wood is hardy and won't mind being buried a bit if needed. 2x2's cut on an angle make very nice stakes. I only had to put one screw in to stabilize.
You can cap them if you want to lay the screen on.
Re plants: I found a dwarf Weigela at home depot, also Spirea, and of course the Rose of Sharon. Nice to have an actual woody shrub or 2 for shade, etc.
Have fun! (ok, I think building tort enclosures is fun, lol)

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
lynnedit said:
Awfully cute little fella.
Someone suggested in the past that you have have the store cut up a 4x8 piece of plywood at 16" high, so you have three 8' pieces (or 24" and 2 pieces of you want to bury it more). You can go from there, expand,double the amount, etc., but the wood is hardy and won't mind being buried a bit if needed. 2x2's cut on an angle make very nice stakes. I only had to put one screw in to stabilize.
You can cap them if you want to lay the screen on.
Re plants: I found a dwarf Weigela at home depot, also Spirea, and of course the Rose of Sharon. Nice to have an actual woody shrub or 2 for shade, etc.
Have fun! (ok, I think building tort enclosures is fun, lol)

Thanks, great ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.