I think she's hitting her growth spurt!

tmbarta

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hi All!

So I think Shelly's hitting her growth spurt. In the past month she's gain over a half pound! The previous 2 months it was a quarter pound each month. Shelly's Growth Chart 10-29-13.jpg

I used to call her squirt, but now it's changed to jumbotron!

A couple weeks ago, I took her out for a walk up the driveway at our mountain home and she followed me right up. Shelly in Big Bear.jpg

I just want to say thank you for all that post on this site. A little over a year ago I found this site and totally changed Shelly's environment. Like many others, I was given incorrect info. Now Shelly is doing great and her shell's new growth has been smooth.

Thank you all!!

Tammie

Last edited by a moderator:

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Interesting! Congratulations, looks like she's doing exceptionally well. Love the growth chart!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
great job. I love seeing shots on torts freely roaming. It makes me wonder what is going through their mind! lol

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet your doing great .

Attachments

• 1383067651527.jpg
    1383067651527.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 124

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
I am just curious, but my sulcata is just 5 months old, and is 200 grams. Is this considered large for his age?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Every tort is different. Various factors go into determining growth levels at various ages. So, while one tort is considerably larger than another of the same age, factors such as whether or not the tort was raised wet or dry during incubation and after hatching, diet, temps, or even genes may have a lot to do with differences in growth. The thing to remember is that every tort is different and grows at different paces. So long as they are healthy and thriving, who cares if other torts are larger than yours at the same age?

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
sibi said:
Every tort is different. Various factors go into determining growth levels at various ages. So, while one tort is considerably larger than another of the same age, factors such as whether or not the tort was raised wet or dry during incubation and after hatching, diet, temps, or even genes may have a lot to do with differences in growth. The thing to remember is that every tort is different and grows at different paces. So long as they are healthy and thriving, who cares if other torts are larger than yours at the same age?

I didn't mean for my question to sound rude. I apologize if that's how I came across. I do understand that they are all different. I was just curious if my guy would be considered large for age or not. I guess the answer then is not, as perhaps another could be 200 grams at 3 years old, and that could be considered normal too, as they are all different. Again, I apologize. :(

tmbarta

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Hi All!!!

Well today was Shelly's monthly weigh in. She's is now 2 1/2 years old and she's been growing like a weed!
Shelly's Growth Chart 2-27-14.jpg

Here's a pic that I took of her on 2/7/14 in her carrier and then I superimposed a pic I took in July of 2013. So you can see her growth in the last 7 months :)
2014-02-07 08.35.05-1.jpg

And here she is all stretched out in during her soak. She loves her soaks.
2014-02-26 07.07.42.jpg

Thanks to everyone here for all the great information. So glad that I found this place 1 1/2 years ago. I'm sure Shelly is happy about it too!!!

Tammie

Last edited by a moderator:

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Great job. I like the superimposed picture. It really shows how much it has grown.