Shell lotion/moisturizer??

Location (City and/or State)
California
My friend sent me a video of Bretman Rock putting some type of lotion/moisturizer on his tortoises’ shells. Is this really necessary? when and when shouldn’t a tortoise shell need moisturizing? I couldn’t tell what type of tort he has or the product, but here is a link to the video https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRg5N8rn/

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
do you know what reasons people have for doing this though? I’m so curious now lol.
It looks good.
I think coconut oil is used most commonly.
Don't smear just any lotion on a living tortoises shell.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My friend sent me a video of Bretman Rock putting some type of lotion/moisturizer on his tortoises’ shells. Is this really necessary? when and when shouldn’t a tortoise shell need moisturizing? I couldn’t tell what type of tort he has or the product, but here is a link to the video https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRg5N8rn/
I don't know who that is, but it cold pressed coconut oil and even vaseline can help to reduce the desiccating effects on the carapace in a dry climate. Many experiments have been done and it does no harm. In some cases is does help.

California
I don't know who that is, but it cold pressed coconut oil and even vaseline can help to reduce the desiccating effects on the carapace in a dry climate. Many experiments have been done and it does no harm. In some cases is does help.
from zeropilots response I assume people just do it even when not needed. are there negative effects to this?
Also the guy is a famous influencer who lives in Hawai’i.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I live in dry winter Connecticut and apply it to my Russians carapace in the winter. I keep him in an enclosed humid habitat, but it doesn’t hurt to keep things moisturized.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
from zeropilots response I assume people just do it even when not needed. are there negative effects to this?
Also the guy is a famous influencer who lives in Hawai’i.
What on earth is a "famous influencer"? Can't be that famous. I've never heard of him, but I don't seem to run in influencer circles either apparently...

This practice does no harm, and there are benefits in some cases.

California
What on earth is a "famous influencer"? Can't be that famous. I've never heard of him, but I don't seem to run in influencer circles either apparently...

thats good to know and it’s just someone who makes content. Some break into mainstream media and others don’t. I guess you’re not into makeup lol.
whether or not a person is considered famous depends on the genre they're in and your own interests I guess.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
whether or not a person is considered famous depends on the genre they're in and your own interests I guess.
This is true. I worked at a booth with friends at the reptile show last weekend and several people came by asking for me. My friends were teasing me: "Hey! You're famous!"

I am not famous, but it was funny.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica

Lol Tom! Guess who's the famous influencer right here on this great forum? : ) . And that's as it should be☺️

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I live in dry winter Connecticut and apply it to my Russians carapace in the winter. I keep him in an enclosed humid habitat, but it doesn’t hurt to keep things moisturized.
I should have stated that I use cold pressed coconut oil.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I use a homebrewed conditioner on my torts on the assumption that it helps prevent desiccation in my long NH winters... mostly for my Russians, but I also occasionally apply it to my Redfoot and my MEPs (although they live in more humid enclosures).

I think it helps, don't think it hurts, but don't bother to debate the vehement naysayers.

Jamie