Shell Help

Delilah1623

I rescued this little guy today. Apparently some guy took him and 3 others from the wild while on vacation. Guy left for college. Didn't come back to feed them. His parents didn't see the need to feed them until 3 died, then they turned this guy in to rescue. His shell is in bad shape. I don't think he had UVB for a long time and one of his front legs looks a little rubbery.

I am wondering if anyone experienced with box turtles had any ideas in his shell. It doesn't feel soft on any of the white spots so I'm not sure if it's rot or rot that is healing. I did scrub his shell with chlorohexadine just in case but wondering if I need to do more of just give him time to heal. There are some cracks in his shell too.

Delilah1623

I wish you the best Delilah!
Good luck with this rescue.
In my limited experience, it looks like a burn on the shell.
I thought that it kind of looked like a burn but since it was all around the bottom of his shell and nothing on top I wasn't sure how he could have gotten it. And his belly is in perfect shape so he wasn't sitting on wetness all the time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, those are chew marks. You see this quite a bit where people don't realize that dogs and turtles don't go together. It's old scarring, and nothing to worry about. Over time it corrects itself.

Last edited:

Delilah1623

Thank you! That would make sense.

Also when I pick him up he makes little squealing sounds. Is this normal or could it be the start of a respiratory infection from being too dry and cold? His eyes and nose are clear and he ate yesterday and today.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, it more than likely just means he's afraid - especially since he's been chewed on before.

Delilah1623

No, it more than likely just means he's afraid - especially since he's been chewed on before.
My poor little booger. He's had it rough the last few years. Thank you for your help! Hopefully he will heal up with no long term damage. He is already loving digging in the dirt and moss and he loves to watch what's going on.

Here's a couple more pictures of him. I didn't even realize he has an extra scute until I got him home. 20150423_195711.jpg20150423_170830.jpg 20150423_173151.jpg

JennK

I just rescued a three toed myself! Thought I would share. My little one doesn't appear to be in as bad as shape but I was told by the lady I got him from that he hadn't had any protien or UVB in over a year! I know there has to be repercussions for that but am hoping I caught it early enough. I also think that mine is quite old! I know there is no true way of aging him but I know im at least his fourth home and I suspect more! And his shell is rather worn. So either he's had a hard life or he's old or both.... I am also confused on his gender.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    775.3 KB · Views: 16

Dean Wirth

Alberta
Unfortunately because box turtles live so long they go through more than a few owners, even responsible ones sometime have to give them up. Unlike, say, dogs who live only 15 years or so a box turtle can live up to 100, this increases the odds of multiple owners. Delilah and Jenn k , you have a nice looking turtles and he's lucky to have you as keepers.

Delilah1623

How much do I feed this guy? For my tortoises I feed a pile of loose greens about the size of their shell... my turtles I do pellets about the size of their head...

I've been doing about this much and he eats it all. Does this look like too much or too little?
20150428_065137.jpg

Dean Wirth

Alberta
I would say too much, that about what I feed my three adults, with the odd worm thrown in. maybe get a turtle dish or small saucer to you can remove the uneaten food in late afternoons. Every turtle is different though.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I agree with the above, I think continue to feed and be happy that he's eating. I put food out every day if they eat or not.

Delilah1623

Thanks everyone! I will get a weight on him and keep feeding as in and just watch his weight and body condition and go from there!

He is doing really great. His skin isn't dry and flakey anymore and his skin color has actually darkened up. My mom even said he looked pale when I got him. I think he is moving in the right direction.