Shell Rot

Okinawan

Location (City and/or State)
Edmond, Oklahoma
Hello! I just need some help in determining if there's any shell rot on this 3 toe'd. The area of concern is the lower
left in this pic. I don't know if this is just normal wear and tear or it's evidence of shell rot. I've also included a pic of the front view.untitled.png untitled2.png

Okinawan

Edmond, Oklahoma
I just want to add that these pics are what was sent to me by the seller. I have purchased this turtle but it has not been shipped to me yet. The seller has been great thus far and said to look over these pics carefully and if there's something that I do not like he will refund my money.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It looks like it might be.
Sometimes shell fungus will set up in an area of a scrape or a rub through of the plastron.
It will also develop if a turtle or tortoise sits for long periods in the wet, damp and urine soaked areas.
With some species like Redfoot tortoises, it is fairly common. It is also easily treated with simple athletes foot cream. (antifungal) I honestly have NO experience with boxies and/or how common fungal outbreaks are in them.
That spot will heal very quickly. If it hasn't already begun to.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
It maybe, and you will not really know for sure until you gently scrub this area with very soft brush under running water removing all debris. This is a very pretty turtle and even if it was the shell rot it would not preclude me from completing the transaction. Shell rot is easy and inexpensive to get rid of, you can heal this area in few weeks and be left with gorgeous animal

Okinawan

Edmond, Oklahoma
ZEROPILOT: Thanks for the info, using athletes foot creme makes sense but would never have thought to use it.

Pearly: Thanks for making me feel less nervous about this transaction....the light just turned from red to green! I'm with you, I thought she looked mighty pretty and my first ever box turtle...I hope:). I spent majority of this past Sunday setting up the outdoor enclosure and still only half way, a ton of work for sure and more than I anticipated:eek: