Dry white shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anth

5 Year Member
Hi I'm Anthony, attached is my three-toed hatchling named Halfie. I was wondering if I should do something about his shell? He doesn't seem to be sick, he eats well and I have fed him strawberries, mushrooms, pillbugs, worms, carrot, cantaloupe and spring mix and peices of super-worm thus far.

His shell has been this way since he came to live with us a few weeks ago, at first I though he was dehydrated but then I read about shell rot and wondered if this is it

thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20120329_141543.jpg
    IMG_20120329_141543.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 150

anth

5 Year Member
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OJMNQBjoR4g/T30kIwNEFdI/AAAAAAAAAEE/9ffJT5sbNBM/s320/IMG_

Here is a better picture....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It just looks like hard water stains to me. What kind of substrate do you use, and is it moist?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Yes, you can try rubbing small amounts of green olive oil, or a product called vitashell.

anth

5 Year Member
:) I use what looks like coco peat on the warm end, there is a pile of Exo Terra Forest moss on the other and both are kept moist.

The dry appearance seems to disappear when he is misted or is soaking in his dish. I am replacing his coco peat today with peat moss, just for peace of mind in knowing exactly what he's burrowing in.

emysemys said:
It just looks like hard water stains to me. What kind of substrate do you use, and is it moist?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I can't see the picture too clearly. Soak him a bit in warm water, then dry him off good, and it it's still there, put a little bit of Clotrimazole 1% on. If you do this for a few days, and it is shell rot, it will go away. For a hatchling this small, I wouldn't clean it with anything but warm water before applying the clotrimazole. This is an antifungal ointment used for athletes feet. Just put a small drop on if it's fungus. But as Yvonne said it just might be a hard water stain.

anth

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the suggestions, I soaked him in some warm water, gently scrubbed his shell with a new soft children's toothbrush, dried him off good and saw that some of the white is coming off. I'll try some green olive oil next and if that doesn't help I'll get some Clotrimazole 1%. Thanks for all your help folks
:)

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
turtlemann2 said:
anybody else see that this little fella has 7 toes? thats got to be some kind of record!
hope he is looking better :)

omg Scott!, I had to re-look at the pic...yeah that a deformity...wow...good catch!!!
:p:rolleyes::D

anth

5 Year Member
turtlemann2 said:
anybody else see that this little fella has 7 toes? thats got to be some kind of record!

Thanks Scott, he is looking better. :D I counted all his toes today, seven as you can see on his right hand, the rest four each .....does that mean he's not a TTBT?

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
anth said:
turtlemann2 said:

Thanks Scott, he is looking better. :D I counted all his toes today, seven as you can see on his right hand, the rest four each .....does that mean he's not a TTBT?

to be a ttbt the back feet should have 3 toes...the middle toe should have a longer nail....but the 7 toes on the front foot is a deformity...that's not common....kinda cool actually!...but maybe take a pic of the back feet and post on here for our feedback....

Oogway

5 Year Member
Denmark
turtlemann2 said:

Hahahaha well spotted :D

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
turtlemann2 said:

Ha! Wow, how does that factor into the atypical point scoring?

Steve

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
supremelysteve said:
turtlemann2 said:

Ha! Wow, how does that factor into the atypical point scoring?

Steve

Steve you make me smile! LOL im going to go 7x4 non typical three toed! Hahaha,

Ususally TTBT'S have three toes on their hind feet BUT i have two turtles one male and one female with Four toes on one hind foot each. So your hatchling is not a typical ttbt but you cant count him out, the only way to be sure is when his or her true colors come in, in a few years.

anth

5 Year Member
jojodesca said:
anth said:
turtlemann2 said:

to be a ttbt the back feet should have 3 toes...the middle toe should have a longer nail....but the 7 toes on the front foot is a deformity...that's not common....kinda cool actually!...but maybe take a pic of the back feet and post on here for our feedback....

Hi Jojo :) Sorry this took me so long, here are a couple photos of his back feet. His shell is doing a lot better!

IMG_20120421_212345.jpg

IMG_20120421_212524.jpg

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I actually do not think you have a three toed box turtle....you have an ornate box turtle..depending on its markings which have not come out yet. did they tell you it was a three toed and where did you get it from??

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have an 8 month old three toed boxie that has 4 toes on each hind foot. We know he is a three toed because we know his parents!

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
THESE ARE NOT MY PICTURES THEY BELONG TO PATMAN I IN NO WAY CLAIM THEY ARE MINE

Take a look at the top two ttbt hatchlings the one on the far right as well as the left
You could still very well have a THREE :) toed box turtle especially in comparison to the ornate hatchlings. It isnt all that uncommon that the three toe have four toes it is uncommon for seven :)
so only time will tell for sure but from these pics im sticking with a ttbt :)
LotsofBabyBoxTurtles2.jpg

here is a picture of a fresh ornate hatchling
http://www.arkive.org/ornate-box-turtle/terrapene-ornata/image-G28576.html

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
My Ornate had the same very distinctive markings from the time I got it at 3 months old, just like that little hatchling. They also have what looks like gray-ish skin around the neck and top of the front arms (paws?). I also have a TT now with 4 toes on each hind foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.