Sex of my RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedjer

5 Year Member
Can someone please sex my tortoise? I have 2 and I know for sure that one is male because the tail is quite long and tucked to the side all the time. However, my other tortoise is throwing me off. The tail isn't very long and isn't usually tucked off to the side.

Thoughts based on this picture?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1377116758.952632.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377116916.584911.jpg

Thanks.
DJ

Last edited by a moderator:

tiffanyluvstorts

5 Year Member
Looks female to me. But wait on the experts. Lol

My babies 4 humans, 4 doggies, 2 Russians, 1 leopard gecko, 1 tarantula and a hermit crab. [SMILING FACE WITH HEART-SHAPED EYES]

dedjer

5 Year Member
Another pic. Female?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1377216480.870706.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Ok, I'm going to be the contrarian and say that it might be a young male. How large is the tortoise? (flat shell length, not curved over the top). I would expect a female to a have a fatter, stubbier tail. The tip looks slender, and the vent is very slit-shaped. The first picture you posted I right away thought, 'that's a young male'. The second pic in your post a little later looks a little more female-ish... but it still doesn't look like a classic female tail. The female's vent looks more like an asterisk (*) and less like a slit.

My male didn't start looking very male until he hit 5" long. He still isn't as *cough* endowed as some of the very long-tailed males I've rehabilitated.

On a side note, whether these are both males, or a female and a male, once they reach maturity (which they might have already done) you will probably find that you'll need to separate them... RTs are very territorial and usually pretty aggressive.

dedjer

5 Year Member
I'm with you on this which is why I asked.

4 3/8" Underneath Shell Length
Measured using garment measuring
tape
Weight .75 lb.

dedjer

5 Year Member
I'm guessing I have a male now that he's settled into his new home. He's starting to do the head bob and is trying to bite my other tortoise. Do females exhibit these aggressive actions?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Males and females can bob their head like that... but males especially do it. Females might do it at other females... but rarely will at other males. It may be necessary to separate them permanently. They can do some pretty harsh damage to each other if they get into a 'real' fight.

dedjer said:
I'm guessing I have a male now that he's settled into his new home. He's starting to do the head bob and is trying to bite my other tortoise. Do females exhibit these aggressive actions?

Status
Not open for further replies.