seeking advice on a baby Sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland tx
hello everyone ! we have finally found a baby Sulcata to purchase ( I never got the close rescue to respond ). any way we are very excited that we get to welcome it home tomorrow!!! but even though I have read everything I can get my hands on to and have searched through the forum i still have questions so I am hoping ya'll want mind helping me out :)

the baby is about 7 weeks old, it's from a private breeder. also we live in South East Texas

how many times a day do I need to feed him/her ?

I am planning on transporting "it" in a small plastic bin with a small amount of hay in the bottom. is this the best way? or do I need to do something else ?

thank ya'll for any insight you may give me :tort:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Ashton
Please understand we are all here for The betterment of the torts . I really don't like the term " private breeder " cause any one can watch two torts have sex , lay eggs ,and some will hatch !
I would put it in a small container and put the container in a paper bag so the tort is in the dark. And I would think about a hand warmer cause you'll turn on the AC so your comfortable but the tort might be cold and the move will be stressful.But if it's warm and dark it may sleep the whole way home . And not be as stressed out , torts don't like change . Good luck !

Cleveland tx
thank you so much ! I don't like that term either but I wasn't sure what else to call him lol....
I love the suggestion of the brown paper bag and hand warmer. we will be traveling an hour to get "it" so I'm hoping he will be OK and sleep the way home

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
thank you so much ! I don't like that term either but I wasn't sure what else to call him lol....
I love the suggestion of the brown paper bag and hand warmer. we will be traveling an hour to get "it" so I'm hoping he will be OK and sleep the way home
Why not ask your P/B to join the TFO !
We aren't bad people just tort crazy ! :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Ashton, I agree with Grandpa and add that I would some paper towels in the bottom of the transport box to absorb any mess, and they usually pee and poop while travelling.
I wouldn't bother with the hay, it's dry and dusty.
If you put food down in the morning and it's all gone by the evening, it wasn't enough, It it's gone, it was enough.
But be prepared that it might not eat for a few days as it adjusts to its new home, or, bizarrely, eats the first day and then not for several days after. No idea why so many of them do this.
Follow the guides in the caresheets i linked for you and you should be fine. :)
Good luck:<3::tort:

Cleveland tx
thank yall so much ! I love this group! I don't think any of yall are bad. lol.

I'm so thankful I found such a great group. I'm currently sitting here waiting on him to show up

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thank yall so much ! I love this group! I don't think any of yall are bad. lol.

I'm so thankful I found such a great group. I'm currently sitting here waiting on him to show up

To save you from having a really bad experience, you should ask the breeder the following questions BEFORE you drive out there.
1. How often was the baby soaked?
2. What substrate is the baby on?
3. Has the baby been mostly indoors or out?
4. What has the baby been eating?
5. What was the incubation media?

Please understand that most people breeding this species start them all wrong and far too dry, and a large percentage of them die within a few weeks or months because of it. Read this BEFORE you buy: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

For comparison, read this one to see how they should be started:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Most of the care info out in the world for this species is wrong and based on 30 year old incorrect assumptions about how they live in the wild. Please check these out for the correct care info. This is not a desert species:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

The most common mistake people make is buying from the wrong breeder. If you make this mistake, and buy a baby with damaged kidneys, nothing you do will save it. It doesn't matter how perfect your enclosure and care routine is, it won't matter how much money you spend with a vet. People have to sit and watch these babies die after weeks of falling in love with them, and it is heartbreaking to witness every time.

Make sure this breeder starts them in a humid, warm environment and soaks them daily. If they get soaked once a week, live on rabbit pellets or some other dry substrate, if they live outside all day in the sun, if they're fed romaine or spring mix every day, or if they were incubated on perlite, buy elsewhere.

Cleveland tx
thank you Mr Tom! I remember to ask all but the last question I hope that's okay

this is the baby we picked out from the ones he brought. we named "her" hiccup! lol.

he said that during the day he keeps them out side and inside for the night to make sure no predators get them. he feeds them grass, cactus 3 times a week with his mix, he feeds , a mix weeds and greens as well. he said he soaks the babies every other day in warm water .... he had Timothy hay in there for nights and they were in mostly shaded grass he said he had a corner of his outdoor set up with a little sun in case they wanted to get in it.

Attachments

• 20170822_141308.jpg
    20170822_141308.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thank you Mr Tom! I remember to ask all but the last question I hope that's okay

this is the baby we picked out from the ones he brought. we named "her" hiccup! lol.

he said that during the day he keeps them out side and inside for the night to make sure no predators get them. he feeds them grass, cactus 3 times a week with his mix, he feeds , a mix weeds and greens as well. he said he soaks the babies every other day in warm water .... he had Timothy hay in there for nights and they were in mostly shaded grass he said he had a corner of his outdoor set up with a little sun in case they wanted to get in it.

I would not buy a baby from someone who keeps them outside all day or on dry hay at night. This breeder is not the worse case scenario, but its still not good. Just know you are taking a risk, and if the baby doesn't survive after a few weeks or months, you won't have to wonder why. Personally, I would just buy a baby from a breeder who starts them correctly so you and your family don't have to suffer through the loss of a beloved pet if this one doesn't make it. I don't say theses things lightly or without good cause. I've been down this road many times and I hate watching people suffer over the loss of their baby when they have such good intentions and do everything right. These babies are starting at a big disadvantage. Some of them will probably survive, and some of them probably won't.

Cleveland tx
I'm hoping hiccup will be fine. this breeder was the closet to us and it took me right at 2 hours to get there :( we really don't have any one close to us that could buy or adopt from

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm hoping hiccup will be fine. this breeder was the closet to us and it took me right at 2 hours to get there :( we really don't have any one close to us that could buy or adopt from

We ship tortoises all over the country all the time. Its really easy with overnight shipping. I just sent 6 of them to Florida this afternoon.

I'm hoping that everything works out great and your tortoise thrives!

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
You have all the right info now to give Hiccup a great life! Keep learning and asking questions. Hoping for the best for you and your adorable little baby!!