Seeking Any Advice

MiaB

Location (City and/or State)
GA
Hello I'm new to this forum so I would also like to take this opportunity to say thank you all for posting so much helpful advice and tips about Sulcatas. I purchased a 6 month old, now 9 months old, Sulcata during the holiday season. I have been following advice on this forum religiously but I just want to be sure that I am doing everything right so I'm going to show you guys my set-up and how I am taking care of my tortoise (his/her name is DD).

My tortoise table:

This 24 gallon enclosure was converted from a small coffee table into a tortoise table! It has plexiglass on all sides, two small drawers for storage and wire mesh below the tortoise design (we have two cats so safety is a priority).

On the interior of the tank there is a basking and UVB light combo that keep the basking area around 85F while the other side of the tank is in the 78-80F range. The small machine with a green light and a hose coming out of it is a humidifier that pumps wet air into the tank to keep the humidity on the right side of the tank at about 80% humidity. I am a full time student so keeping the tank from getting too dry was an issue at first because of the wire mesh at the top of the tank, the mesh helps regulate the temp but it does let humidity out very quickly.

The bedding is a mix of Cyprus mulch and chemical free potting soil. It is soft enough to let him burrow. The seashells function as small toys, I've observed him flipping them over, sleeping on them, and carrying them into his hiding place for safe keeping.

From the time that I got him I have been giving him different things every week give or take a few days but he enjoys dandelion leaves and zucchini the most. He does not get zucchini very often and when he does it is in a small quantity. I am currently feeding him a mix of dandelion leaves and mustard greens but he has had spring mixes in the past. I am currently trying to set up a portable feeding tray that I can grow cat grass on (If you know of a better grass that's easy to get a hold of please tell me)

DD is a shy tortoise, he is used to me putting my hands in the tank to give him food, fill his water dish, or give him a bath. He hates taking baths but he does get two every day in warm water. He enjoys exploring new places and does not seem to be afraid of our two house cats, in fact whenever they watch him he races over to that side of the tank to greet them. When I got him he was 3 inches exactly, he is now 3 1/4 inches long! His shell is very smooth and I don't think that he is showing any signs of pyramiding but if someone thinks he is please let me know.

The breeder that I bought him from did send me a few packs of Reptivite vitamins and Repti Calcium but I am not sure about how often I should be giving these to him.

So that concludes this thread, if I missed some information feel free to let me know and I will do my best to provide good info. Thank you to all that took time to read this. If I am doing something wrong or not enough please let me know!

Thank You!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

One has to have a Google account to view pictures in YOUR Google account. So, I'm sorry to say, I can't see your pictures.

MiaB

GA
Ok I'll try to fix the problem

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello I'm new to this forum so I would also like to take this opportunity to say thank you all for posting so much helpful advice and tips about Sulcatas. I purchased a 6 month old, now 9 months old, Sulcata during the holiday season. I have been following advice on this forum religiously but I just want to be sure that I am doing everything right so I'm going to show you guys my set-up and how I am taking care of my tortoise (his/her name is DD).

My tortoise table:

This 24 gallon enclosure was converted from a small coffee table into a tortoise table! It has plexiglass on all sides, two small drawers for storage and wire mesh below the tortoise design (we have two cats so safety is a priority).

Without being able to see the picture, I'm guessing that 24 gallons isn't very big, especially for a sulcata.

On the interior of the tank there is a basking and UVB light combo that keep the basking area around 85F while the other side of the tank is in the 78-80F range. The small machine with a green light and a hose coming out of it is a humidifier that pumps wet air into the tank to keep the humidity on the right side of the tank at about 80% humidity. I am a full time student so keeping the tank from getting too dry was an issue at first because of the wire mesh at the top of the tank, the mesh helps regulate the temp but it does let humidity out very quickly.

The temp directly under the light should be 100-105F then fading to about 80-85F for the rest of the enclosure. 78-80 isn't all that much difference, but I would still bump it up a bit more, especially as you have wet air being pumped in.

The bedding is a mix of Cyprus mulch and chemical free potting soil. It is soft enough to let him burrow. The seashells function as small toys, I've observed him flipping them over, sleeping on them, and carrying them into his hiding place for safe keeping.

This sounds about right.

From the time that I got him I have been giving him different things every week give or take a few days but he enjoys dandelion leaves and zucchini the most. He does not get zucchini very often and when he does it is in a small quantity. I am currently feeding him a mix of dandelion leaves and mustard greens but he has had spring mixes in the past. I am currently trying to set up a portable feeding tray that I can grow cat grass on (If you know of a better grass that's easy to get a hold of please tell me)

Diet sounds good. Have you seen the list in this thread : http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

DD is a shy tortoise, he is used to me putting my hands in the tank to give him food, fill his water dish, or give him a bath. He hates taking baths but he does get two every day in warm water. He enjoys exploring new places and does not seem to be afraid of our two house cats, in fact whenever they watch him he races over to that side of the tank to greet them. When I got him he was 3 inches exactly, he is now 3 1/4 inches long! His shell is very smooth and I don't think that he is showing any signs of pyramiding but if someone thinks he is please let me know.

The breeder that I bought him from did send me a few packs of Reptivite vitamins and Repti Calcium but I am not sure about how often I should be giving these to him.

They get more outgoing as time goes on. Vitamins just a small pinch (or a couple drops) a week, and calcium a small pinch twice a week.

So that concludes this thread, if I missed some information feel free to let me know and I will do my best to provide good info. Thank you to all that took time to read this. If I am doing something wrong or not enough please let me know!

Thank You!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I appreciate your dedication to taking good care of this baby. Good job.

MiaB

GA
Thank you, I actually have read it! It was very helpful.

MiaB

GA
About the temps: originally the temp under the basking light was 100F, when I was emailing the breeder however he told me that I needed to keep the temp at around 85 and high 70s on the other side

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
About the temps: originally the temp under the basking light was 100F, when I was emailing the breeder however he told me that I needed to keep the temp at around 85 and high 70s on the other side
Your tortoise MUST be able to bask at 100-105F in order to raise its internal temperature sufficiently to be able to digest its food.

85F under the basking lamp is too cool.

MiaB

GA
Your tortoise MUST be able to bask at 100-105F in order to raise its internal temperature sufficiently to be able to digest its food.

85F under the basking lamp is too cool.

Understood. It's interesting how there is such a disagreement with the temps. I'm not trying to say that you or the breeder don't know what they are talking about of course! But I have visited multiple sites trying to find the right temp but a lot of them say contradicting things.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Understood. It's interesting how there is such a disagreement with the temps. I'm not trying to say that you or the breeder don't know what they are talking about of course! But I have visited multiple sites trying to find the right temp but a lot of them say contradicting things.

I agree that there's a lot of outdated information supplied on the internet, perpetuated by pet stores and, sadly, by some breeders and vets too.

Have you read the care sheet on How to Raise a Healthy Sulcata? It's written by one of TFO's species experts working hard to get the up to date information out there.

Also
Beginner Mistakes
For those who have a young Sulcata

MiaB

GA
I agree that there's a lot of outdated information supplied on the internet, perpetuated by pet stores and, sadly, by some breeders and vets too.

Have you read the care sheet on How to Raise a Healthy Sulcata? It's written by one of TFO's species experts working hard to get the up to date information out there.

Also
Beginner Mistakes
For those who have a young Sulcata
Thank you so much! I've adjusted some things in the tank so the basking temp should be reaching a 100-105 soon. About the size of the tank: I am a broke highschool senior so I can't afford one of the big tanks but when I graduate my parents are moving to Florida. So when we get there DD will get a new fancy outdoor enclosure.

MiaB

GA
Thank you so much! I've adjusted some things in the tank so the basking temp should be reaching a 100-105 soon. About the size of the tank: I am a broke high school senior so I can't afford one of the big tanks but when I graduate my parents are moving to Florida. So when we get there DD will get a new fancy outdoor enclosure.

IMG_4328.JPG IMG_4327.JPG IMG_4326.JPG image_123923953.JPG

MiaB

GA
Here are the last of the pictures

Attachments

• IMG_4329.JPG
    IMG_4329.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • image_123923953 (1).JPG
    image_123923953 (1).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Over all a good job. Here are a few things I see:
1. You need more substrate. Two or three times that thickness.
2. He needs a humid hide to retreat to.
3. What type of UV bulb are you using?
4. You definitely have some pyramiding there, but its not bad. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. The open top has probably contributed to that. Living outside in FL will improve things lot.
5. If you give us the dimensions of the enclosure, we can tell you the number of gallons. Looks bigger than 24 to me.
6. Sounds like the breeder has some different ideas than most of us here.

MiaB

GA
Over all a good job. Here are a few things I see:
1. You need more substrate. Two or three times that thickness.
2. He needs a humid hide to retreat to.
3. What type of UV bulb are you using?
4. You definitely have some pyramiding there, but its not bad. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. The open top has probably contributed to that. Living outside in FL will improve things lot.
5. If you give us the dimensions of the enclosure, we can tell you the number of gallons. Looks bigger than 24 to me.
6. Sounds like the breeder has some different ideas than most of us here.
Thanks Tom, the dimensions are 35 X 15 X 10. I tried to do the calculations but I might have made a mistake. What exactly is a humid hide? Is that like his hiding place?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
My suggestions would be raising the temps, get the Terra Cotta plant saucer for water and sink it in to dirt, get Plexiglas on inside to cover holes in top(love design) to hold the heat and humidity in. Chop up food finer. With high humidity which is important in young ones you can NOT let temps fall below 80 in any area of the habitat or you'll be risking a respiratory infection. he didn't get that pyramiding that he has in the last 3 months( I personally think he's older than 9 months- 1.5 yr or older-but thats my opinion). that was from the previous owner not taking care of him properly(low humidity and heat will cause stunted growth and pyramiding)He needs high humidity and high Heat.
I love how hard you're trying. don't worry once you got it right and it's perfect you don't have to do this again, Or rather, it's easier to do next time if you do have to do it again. .lol. I actually did the exact same thing. I turned a coffee table into a tortoise Closed chamber too. you do not have to worry about him running out of air. as long as you open it everyday it should be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20150207_225756.jpg
    IMG_20150207_225756.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20150301_130410.jpg
    IMG_20150301_130410.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom, the dimensions are 35 X 15 X 10. I tried to do the calculations but I might have made a mistake. What exactly is a humid hide? Is that like his hiding place?
It looks deeper and taller in the pics. I get 22.72 gallons with those dimensions. That is really too small. You can get a large tub or a stock tank relatively cheap. They need more space to roam than that, but you don't want them loose on the floor or anywhere that isn't a properly designed and safe tortoise enclosure.

A humid hide is basically a covered area that is more humid than the surrounding area. I use black plastic dishwashing tubs from Walmart. THey cost less than $2. Flip it over, cut out a door hole just big enough for the tortoise, and dampen the substrate under it. Voila! Done.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I agree with Tom that it's too smalll but it should be all right for a few months. I know it's a pain to make another one when you're going to go to Florida in Nine Or 12 months. but now that you know how to do it you can build another more quickly. I don't know that I'd wait till Florida to do so though. We just moved to Florida and I thought we would have them outside by now but we've been here 5 months and I still don't have a spot outside for them. Unpacking....Job hunting...etc

MiaB

GA
Thank you for everything! I'll do my best to get the humid hide box set up, add more substrate, get a new water dish and raise the temps. As for the tank itself this is the best I can do for now, we will be moving to Florida in about 3-4 months and we are staging our house right now so we are de-cluttering, so we have no space for an even bigger tank. I'm already making plans about his outdoor enclosure so I will have it set up relatively quickly! When the enclosure is built my hermit crabs can take DD's old tank.

Big thank you to everyone that replied! I'll make another thread when the outdoor enclosure is built!