Securing a Dome light fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
I am looking to put a CHE onto my turtles enclosure. I have lost the stupid clamp, no one sells just the clamp.

Does anyone know of a better way to secure the domed light fixure?

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Is it possible to fashion one out of a clothes hangar?

boutselis

5 Year Member
On the one we have in olives house it is just hung by the cord. I put a hook on the ceiling and then tied the lamp cord to the hook at the appropriate height. It has been that way for years with no problems. The lamps are not very heavy and the cord can support it easy

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
If you were to suspend a lamp by just its cord, especially if you have a heavy CHE in it, it is very likely that over time the electrical connections at the lamp will stretch enough to short. It could take years for this to occur. Modern circuits should cause the breaker to pop, but a malfunction could cause a fire. Tying a cord can cause the tied portion to break/short circuit over time as well.

I use bailing wire to hang lamps in some of my setups. I'd bet that metal picture hanging wire would do the trick as well. Downside of this approach is that you need something to hang the wire from.

In others, I use a piece of wood large enough to stretch across the top of the enclosure, cut a hole in it large enough for the widest part of the lamp to sit in without touching the edges, and then screw/staple hardware cloth over the hole. The lamps sits on the hardware cloth. Downside of this approach is that the lamp height is not easily adjusted.

boutselis

5 Year Member
I just installed maddie's heat lamp and because it was going to swing around quite a bit every time we opened the lid I did not want to attach it by the cord for the reasons chairman described (though I don't think weight is a real issue with a 150 watt ceramic but better safe than sorry especially if you may cause an electricla fire)

at any rate I noticed 4 holes in the top of the lamp so I put a loop of copper wire through 2 holes on each side and and tethered them together in the middle and hung the lamp from that. I tethered them together so the lamp would stay straight and not hang to the side

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Thank you all for your wondrful ideas. I am usually a creative person, but I had a mental block and couldn't get around it. I will be working with it this weekend and all your suggestions have helped.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
In my enclosure I hang them from the ceiling using light chain and s hooks..you can buy it at home depot for cheap..and you have piece of mind it will never fall into the enclosure..and on the plus side you can move the fixture up or down fairly easy to adjust for temperature change in the enclosure..

SteveP

5 Year Member
Royal Palm Beach, FL
fbsmith3 said:
I am looking to put a CHE onto my turtles enclosure. I have lost the stupid clamp, no one sells just the clamp.

With my lighting setup I have, I took the clamps off. Your welcome to them. I would cost me $4.95 I think to ship them to you. If your interested, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.