Enclosure lighting night mare

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooortoisetortoise

5 Year Member
Ok so I went to petsmart to pick up supplies such as lighting and heat sources. The girl got me to buy flukers brand clamp lamp w dimmer used for incandescent light bulbs. She told me to use that fixture w the brand all living things ceramic heat emitter it's black colored ...I think that's right but it doesn't seem to be shooting warm ness to a 90 degree level down to the floor like the Tort needs..., it says you have to aim the lamp exactly right I put a screen top and set the lamp on that is that ok? It's because I discovered the clamp lamp is missing a part so I can't clamp it till I go back tomorrow and exchange it or whatever. What is the best fixture for a heat emitting bulb? It's non light emitting just heat....and the girl got me to buy a repti glow brand 10.0 UVB ---26 watt desert terrarium lamp bulb thing to use w a dome fixture... Thats right right? Help!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
First of what tort is it, because a 10.0 is to much for any normal tort... Secondly the best light source is a MVB light, it also gives of some heat..
make sure your bulb is not a coil they are dangerous. I would take them all back and get a MVB and a more powerful ceramic.
The ceramic heater may not be powerfully enough. I have to use a 250 w to keep things warm enough.

EKLC

5 Year Member
The ceramic heat emitter (CHE) is recommended for use with wire cage style light fixtures.
p-74286-56457-reptile.jpg

In reflective domes, too much heat can build up, which can damage the CHE.

However, the flukers clamp lamp is actually a pretty wide dome, so perhaps it would be dissipative enough for a lower watt CHE. I personally use a 60 W CHE in a dome with no problems.

In regards to it's heat output, is it getting hot at all? Did you let it warm up a bit? I wouldn't expect much heat in the first few minutes. What is the ambient temperature of the room? Does your enclosure have an open top or is it closed?

tooortoisetortoise

5 Year Member
hi all thanks for the responses. My tort is a redfoot tortoise that is quite small i am guessing under 10 weeks old. My enclosure is open top for now i used a mesh lid for my old ten gallon to hold up the clamp lamp (flukers) that has the heat emitter all living things brand black bulb in it ...its been going for about an hour or near and i can feel the heat if i put my hand inches away from the bulb but once i reach the floor area where the tort is i feel no real heat.....my house/room temp is in the low 60's if not 50's. I was going to purchase a wire fixture for the heat emitter but the girl said it was ok to use the clamp lamp from flukers..i believe its a 8.5 inch one not a 10....i also bought a 10'' dome flukers fixture too for the other bulb the repti-one or whichever brand i listed originally for the uva and uvb lighting only...is that right? and is there a way to tell if the heat emitter bulb has a coil? its black colored so i cannot tell...it says it is a ceramic bulb.....and that i have to angle it just right so for now the fixture/lamp is pointed straight downward to the floor...its a 100w ..... i mentioned i needed it to be 90 degrees in the hot spot for the tort and originally was going to get a 125w exo terra bulb but she said it would cook the tort like make it over 100 degrees easily and i did not want to have it harm the tort..... so i plan to go back tomorrow to swap it out,,, is there anyway to tell which bulbs are suitable for which fixture aside from the fixture saying the most watts it can take? is there a way to tell which bulb is mvb?"

Ps. I tried getting the exo terra bulb which emits mercury vapors but she said its super dangerous and if it broke or something it would kill the tort and be super dangerous.....having said this, are there any suggestions on brands of mvb that even petsmart would have? I am freaking out :( i was so excited and was hoping to have the little tort's home ready and up and running...

EKLC

5 Year Member
"Coil" refers to a design of flourescent UVB emitting bulb, in which the bulb is in the form of a coiled tube. These have been known to damage the eyes of torts.

First, and foremost, your tort needs to be warm. 80-85 is a good night temp for a little one. I wouldn't imagine a 100 W CHE to be able to compete with a 50-60 degree room. CHE's get hot, but don't really direct heat like a basking light. So in an open top enclosure, the heat is probably just rising up and out of the tank.

Do you have a plastic storage bin, like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-73-Quart-Storage-Bin-in-White-Set-of-4/8282896 ?

If so you can put it over the enclosure, to allow your CHE to build up enough heat to achieve the 80-85 degrees where your tort is.

In regards to the mercury vapor bulb, they are heat lamps that also provide UVB, so you don't need to buy a separate basking bulb and UVB bulb. MVBs are also considered a better source of UVB than flourescent UVB lights.

If you can take your tort out in the sun a few times a week, then you do not need a UVB source at all, as sunlight is the best.

The flourescent UVB lights are often criticized, as they are rendered useless when placed too far away, but some models have been known to damage the tort's eyes when too close.

If you have a small enclosure, a MVB bulb will probably be too hot.

For the time being, get your tort warm. Then take some pics of your enclosure, let us know the climate you live in/the ability for your tort to go outside, and we will let you know what UVB setup would be best

tooortoisetortoise

5 Year Member
I currently have a 29 gallon tank.... I planned to buy a storage bin but was told it was ok at least for now to keep him/her in the current set up....what do you recommend for the fixture and bulb for heating and uva and uvb exposure? I know pretty sad but i need to be directed to which fixture goes with which and which are reccomended....I learned that young tiny torts are fragile , more so than adults so I am so worried for my tort... I want him to survive...please advise, thanks..

EKLC

5 Year Member
tooortoisetortoise said:
I currently have a 29 gallon tank.... I planned to buy a storage bin but was told it was ok at least for now to keep him/her in the current set up....what do you recommend for the fixture and bulb for heating and uva and uvb exposure? I know pretty sad but i need to be directed to which fixture goes with which and which are reccomended....I learned that young tiny torts are fragile , more so than adults so I am so worried for my tort... I want him to survive...please advise, thanks..

Do you have a thermometer? What is the temp where your tortoise is?

EKLC

5 Year Member
tooortoisetortoise said:
The temp is 72 degrees...

That's not horrible, so no need to panic

You should get that temp to 80. In a cold room, it really helps to cover the top to keep some heat in. In my old setup, I made a little canopy, but then just switched to a plastic storage bin which did the same thing. Even a cardboard box would work, just make sure it doesn't touch that hot CHE.

Picture2.jpg

In this setup, I have my CHE and an incandescent basking lamp on top of the wire mesh of the tank. I don't have a UVB because I am able to take my tort in the sunshine often.

tooortoisetortoise

5 Year Member
What uva/uvb bulb w which fixture should I get tomorrow? and which wattage of ceramic heat emitter should i get? i have 100 w so far, should I get 120/etc? I just want the tort to eat already....He arrived on feb 14 and hasn't eaten yet.... I've dipped him in warm water to saturate but otherwise no food.....how long can they go w out food?

EKLC

5 Year Member
Theres plenty of enclosure guides on this forum, you need to choose what works best with your setup. As I said, in a small glass enclosure a MVB will be way too hot. If you live somewhere warm, you may not need to worry about UVB.

Picture of enclosure helps us

tooortoisetortoise

5 Year Member
uh lol I don't think its necessary to show the set up lol its simple.... just a 29 gallon fish tank the walls are about two feet tall or so and I have cypress mulch as substrate and a water dish for the tortoise and my lame ceramic heat emitter lamp pointing down and a towel covering up the open areas in hopes it will help heat some.....

EKLC

5 Year Member
Ok, personally I would recommend a basking spot bulb like this one
pPETS-3756841t400.jpg

in 50 or 75 W (depending on how cold your room usually is and if you manage to close the top effectively)

I would use the UVB tube in the hood you bought, just keep an eye out for your tort developing sensitive eyes, and get real sunlight whenever its 70+ and sunny.

CHE should work fine with some covering of the top

Also, keep looking around on this forum and learn as much as you can.

tooortoisetortoise

5 Year Member
thanks for your advice....and i do not have a tube fixture light in the hood.....i am pretty much left with a tank and no hood..

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Do not get the basking lamp, waste of time and money,it only gives heat and the light is not UV, also you cannot leave it 24/7.

Invest in a good MVB they give UV and heat off, the CHe are the best heat source.

Secondly do NOT cover with plastic first of its a fire hazard and secondly it can give off toxic fumes to your tort.

What I do which is tried and tested for a few years now is a sun screen for cars. It's foil so it's not flammable and doesn't give of toxic fumes, aswell as keeping the heat in it also reflects the heat back in.
when it gets really cold I cover the top and two sides with towels.

The problem that you will have is the humidity, RF need more humidity than most torts, otherwise they can get health issues and runny eyes.

You can get in touch with "Madkins007" he has alot of knowledge on Rf. just find him on the species section, under Redfoots. He will tell you everything you need to know..

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
Hello! I use the exact same light fixture with the dimmer and i use a 125 watt MVB. The MVB bulbs are more expensive (30-50 dollars) but it's worth it in the end. With the MVB bulb the dimmer on the light fixture doesn't work just so you know, and you have to keep it all the way on, the dimming portion doesn't work for MVB's. With the 125 watt bulb it keeps the warm end of the enclosure to about 95-100 degrees, and my tort loves it! :D

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
The thing with basking bulbs is that if you leave them on its like you trying to sleep with the light on, it's permanent daylight, that why the ceramics are the perfect heat source, lots of heat and no light.
So the y can be left on all day and all night.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Yvonne has it right, dont waste your money on the reptile basking bulb, i suggest a Mvb, If you dont want to use that use the tube style florescent. A che is a really good source of heat for day and night, also they dont burn out fast light bulbs do, should last several years. if you need to up the temp even more you have choices of heat rope under the substrate, or just a normal flood light bulb or any normal incandescent light bulb will do for heat, those reptile bulbs are over priced and blow too often. also aluminum foil (the cooking kind) is a good for covering the top to hold in heat and humidity. Its cheap, replaceable and fire proof!

EKLC

5 Year Member
I recommended the basking light, since I thought he already bought a UVB tube.

Plus a MVB will cook a 29 gallon aquarium, so OP will need to work around that or get a bigger enclosure (better).

Also, Yvonne, why do you say plastic gives off toxic fumes for a tort? If it's not burning I don't see why that's a problem.

tooortoisetortoise

5 Year Member
I went back to petsmart and got the right fixtures i desired and upped to a 150 w instead of 100w on the ceramic heat emitter and sigh.... it only brought me up to 79/80 F..... I want 90.....I got a UVA/UVB light too i plan to turn on in the day.... any ideas on raising the temp? I added water to the substrate in hopes of it helping.... ps. is there anyway to point the heat emitter lamp in the right direction? the box said you have to aim it right...? thanks

- Keri

Status
Not open for further replies.