Scotland winter

Jude curran

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow
Im from scotland and in 2 weeks i am getting a russian tortoise it will be kept in my conservatory wich can be really cold how can i heat the enclosure on top of using the heat and uvb lamp. It is and open top table , pleanty big enough for him ( I am really worried he will be to cold, should i add insulation ?)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello there. I live at the opposite end of the UK, in Kent, and I can say that your conservatory is far from ideal. Too hot when the sun is out and too cold in winter. Your electricity bill is going to be high.

Your Russian, undoubtedly a baby, will need minimum of 26C day and night ambient (general) temperature and 35-37C directly under the basking lamp.

This requires a closed chamber (a vivarium with a lid) not an open tortoise table even for those kept in a central heated house.

You will need a basking lamp and a separate UVB lamp for daytime; these must be on for 14 hours a day. You will also need a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) and a thermostat running 24/7.

Please start by reading these TFO care guides. They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Jude curran

Glasgow
Hello there. I live at the opposite end of the UK, in Kent, and I can say that your conservatory is far from ideal. Too hot when the sun is out and too cold in winter. Your electricity bill is going to be high.

Your Russian, undoubtedly a baby, will need minimum of 26C day and night ambient (general) temperature and 35-37C directly under the basking lamp.

This requires a closed chamber (a vivarium with a lid) not an open tortoise table even for those kept in a central heated house.

You will need a basking lamp and a separate UVB lamp for daytime; these must be on for 14 hours a day. You will also need a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) and a thermostat running 24/7.

Please start by reading these TFO care guides. They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

The woman i am buying it of of keeps it in her spare room ( room temperature ) and she said that that was fine so i will move it into my dining room . I have a 2 in 1 bulb that does heat and uvb , do i need another one

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The woman i am buying it of of keeps it in her spare room ( room temperature ) and she said that that was fine so i will move it into my dining room . I have a 2 in 1 bulb that does heat and uvb , do i need another one

The 2 in 1 is a mercury vapour bulb that combines UVB with basking. They need to be replaced every 6 months as the UVB fails long before the bulb blows and you can’t tell.

Your breeder is telling you outdated information about the care needed for health if she says a table is OK. It isn’t. Especially if the table is in a conservatory.

Please, please read those care sheets I linked to.

You will need the Ceramic Heat Emitter and thermostat. You will need a cover over the enclosure to make it warm enough. If you don’t do this your tortoise will not be warm enough to eat or be active.

Jude curran

Glasgow
The 2 in 1 is a mercury vapour bulb that combines UVB with basking. They need to be replaced every 6 months as the UVB fails long before the bulb blows and you can’t tell.

Your breeder is telling you outdated information about the care needed for health if she says a table is OK. It isn’t. Especially if the table is in a conservatory.

Please, please read those care sheets I linked to.

You will need the Ceramic Heat Emitter and thermostat. You will need a cover over the enclosure to make it warm enough. If you don’t do this your tortoise will not be warm enough to eat or be active.
I shall move the table inside , can i put somekind of lid on my open aired one or do i need to buy a new enclosure

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England