Russian Tortoise HELP (cold weather question)

turtlelover323

I'm getting a Russian tortoise soon and I'm still not sure if it will do well in the place I live. I live in southern New York and I'm not sure if a Russian tortoise can handle the extremely cold temperatures I get in winter. Are there any other tortoises that might do better? Or is the Russian tortoise fine?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Well, no tortoise can be outside all year round in your climate without human intervention, but a Russian would require less work than most other species.

Reactions: Tom

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
You will have to provide heat in your area to any tortoise. Russians are fun and good starter tortoise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm getting a Russian tortoise soon and I'm still not sure if it will do well in the place I live. I live in southern New York and I'm not sure if a Russian tortoise can handle the extremely cold temperatures I get in winter. Are there any other tortoises that might do better? Or is the Russian tortoise fine?

Hello and welcome. Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
You will have to bring the Russian tort inside when it gets cold. I keep two Russians torts myself I don't hibernate them just keep them warm they do slow down a little in winter but still stay pretty active.

RussianTort380

Bring him inside during the winter. Provide a UVB light or a light that provides heat. Put enough dirt and wood chips in his indoor tank so he can burrow if I gets too cool.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises hibernate. When the weather starts to cool and the days get shorter, he'll start to wind down, then you just bring him in, box him up and store him in a cool, dry place until spring.

One of our more experienced members - GBTortoises - lives in upstate New York and has been successfully breeding, raising and selling Russians, Greeks and Hermanns for a very long time.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
I have two russians in Vermont, mine do not hibernate, i just maintain temps within my home and their enclosure and have not had any issues.

RussianTort380

I know this isn't relevant but my RT peed a little bit of red/ orange. I don't know if I should be worried or if it's blood. I had fed him dandelions the morning of.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Dandelions can die the pee brown, orange or purpleish.
Hopefully it is just this, but keep an eye on it.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

If you provide the right setup, enough heat, humidity, then I do not think you have any reason to worry.;)

And a very warm welcome to the forum!:D