Russian Horsefield Setup HELP

Siobhandoyle02

Location (City and/or State)
Paisley
Hello, I recently have taken in a 3 year old Russian Horsfield tortoise called Shelldon. He belonged to a family member who can no longer look after him. I have currently set up an 8ft tortoise table for him but have found it really difficult to maintain temperature and humidity as I live in Scotland so it's different everyday as well as my house being very damp and cold.

I was wondering if I would be able to connect 2 4ft vivariums to make an 8ft enclosure somehow? As this would be easier to control temperatures etc. Obviously during summer he will have a much larger outdoor space to roam but for the time being would this work? I am fairly new to this despite doing as much research as possible!

Sorry for the long story just want to know if this would be possible before I waste any time or money as I want the best for him! Thanks!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Consider making a tent to go over the table! I did something similar for my Sulcata’s grow out enclosure. Right now it’s housing a bearded dragon so I’ve removed the covering, but it’s basically just a triangular frame covered by a clear plastic shower curtain that houses all of the fixtures inside, and I could lift one side to open it.
image.jpg
Alternatively, you may consider grow tents. They come in very large sizes, but they are a lot taller than what the tortoise requires if you’re worried about wasting space. They are made for holding heat and humidity and do so quite well. Here’s my 4 foot one that currently houses my ball python. It was a 2x2x4 foot, but I turned it in it’s side and replaced the front door with heavy vinyl from a fabric store (hobby lobby, but I’m not sure you have them where you are.)image.jpg

Siobhandoyle02

Paisley
Oh interesting, I didn't know I could do that I'll definitely look more into it! Would this work just as well as if I joined vivariums together? I've read they are not very recommended for tortoises but maybe with some DIY ventilation etc I was curious if it would still work?
If not I'll look for a grow tent ASAP, thanks for the advice! I'm new to this so I'm second guessing everything I do incase I cause any unnecessary stress to the little guy