Sandboxes?

Nishikigoi's Torts.

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
As the new owner of a baby sulcata I am looking forward to moving him outside as he gets bigger. I want to get started now so that any plants that I buy can grow and lose any chemicals that may be on them. So far I've found 4 options a 5x5' sand lock sandbox, a 5x10' sand lock sandbox, a 10x10' sand lock sandbox, or a 43.2x43.2" NewTechWood sandbox/planter. I'm just wondering what would be a good size enclosure for him and him alone while he's still young.image.jpg

Nishikigoi's Torts.

Texas
So rather than buy a sandbox or something I could use as a prebuilt enclosure for him I desired to draw up a blueprint of how I want to build my own. Please tell me if you have any suggestions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 42

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I start babies in 4x8' enclosure for their outdoor sunning sessions. I think the 5x5' of the 5x10' would work just fine and probably last a year before you'd need to go bigger. The 10x10" might last two years.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that you should not use any sand in these sand boxes. My apologies if you already know that.

Nishikigoi's Torts.

Texas
I start babies in 4x8' enclosure for their outdoor sunning sessions. I think the 5x5' of the 5x10' would work just fine and probably last a year before you'd need to go bigger. The 10x10" might last two years.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that you should not use any sand in these sand boxes. My apologies if you already know that.
Ok thankyou Tom. At what age/size do you start housing them outside?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok thankyou Tom. At what age/size do you start housing them outside?

I put babies outside for an hour a day or so, weather permitting. As they gain size I leave them out longer and longer, until I leave them out most of the day once they reach 5-6". I move them outside full time into a large enclosure with a heated night box once they hit 8-10".

Nishikigoi's Torts.

Texas
I put babies outside for an hour a day or so, weather permitting. As they gain size I leave them out longer and longer, until I leave them out most of the day once they reach 5-6". I move them outside full time into a large enclosure with a heated night box once they hit 8-10".
So when they get up to the 8-10" marker what size of an enclosure do would you keep an individual in?

Nishikigoi's Torts.

Texas
So I've been doing more research on an outdoor habitat for my baby sully Nikolai, and I've decided to upgrade his indoor enclosure to a 6' x 3' x 14" Waterland land tub and just use his smaller enclosure ( 4' x 2' x 2' ) as his outdoor sunning enclosure until he gets bigger and I can buil him a more permanent outdoor habitat.

I was also wondering about some edible plants to make his larger indoor habitat more naturalistic and came up with these; birds nest fern, wandering jew, epipremnum aureum, marigold, spider plant, asparagus fern, and whatever sprouts up from one of the tortoise seed packets at Arizona Tortoise Compound. The only question I had about them was could they be grown indoors on a peat moss, organic topsoil, and coco coir mix with Cyprus mulch as a top layer and about an inch of gravel at the bottom for some drainage?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know about all the plants. I always though ferns were toxic.

You don't need all that stuff for substrate. No gravel for sure. Its an impaction risk and your tortoise will likely not leave it at the bottom. Orchid bark is the best substrate for young sulcatas.

Nishikigoi's Torts.

Texas
I double checked all the plants on africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

I know I don't need all of it as a substrate the top soil would mainly be for the plants with the peat and coco to ward off mold and hold moisture. Nikolai hasn't burrowed at all since I got him so I'm not to worried about it, but I'll watch him closely to make sure he isn't messing with it and if he does I'll remove it. I'll be sure to use orchid bark at not Cyprus mulch.

Thankyou Tom for your concern and advise it's much appreciated.