Coconut Coir without soil - humidity question

tofuqueen

10 Year Member!
I decided to use just coconut coir for my Russian Tortoise after reading many of the threads on this forum. I previously used about 80% coco coir and 20% sterilized sandbox sand. I've noticed that the straight coco coir stays wetter longer. Is that normal? I used to have to add water every day, but now I just mix it up every day and only add water maybe every 3rd day. I want to make sure that it's not too damp/moist for him. On a related note, any suggestions for a specific gauge to measure moisture? Most of the ones that I'm seeing online have wires and I'm worried he'll get caught up in the wire, or bite it. Thanks folks!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
Just use straight coco coir and NO Sand- Sand has impaction dangers if eaten. You could always use 3" of coco coir and top with an 1" of Fir Bark (available bulk at garden centers on west coast/East Coast it is ReptiBark). The Fir Bark is by far superior for look, mess, and moisture retention. If you can find the bulk fir bark than I am very envious.

tofuqueen

10 Year Member!
Right... in my first sentence I said I was moving to just coco coir and had previously used the sand. So I'm all set with that piece. Just wondering if I need to make adjustments to make sure it's not too moist. I'll look around for fir bark. Thanks so much for your post!