Outdoor Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgabel

5 Year Member
I have a African Spurred Tortoise and I need to make an outdoor enclosure for him. I have had him for about 8 months and I believe that he is probably close to two years old. He still fits inside the palm of my hand but he needs to start to stay outside during the day. We are moving into a condo next week and it has a patio, no grass. I was thinking of putting a sandbox out there (picture included below). Would that work or does anyone have any other ideas? I was thinking of making a enclosure out of bricks with plywood on the bottom but am afraid that it will get too hot. Thanks for any ideas!

3n63k93le5Of5P35S699599a4c3f9aa561974.jpg

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
lgabel welcome to the forum. If you place him in the tort sandbox and provide substrate he will be fine. But remember you will need to provide some kind of cover like chicken wire or hardware cloth due to peditors from above, if he still sits in the palm of your hand a large bird could easily carry him off. Make sure your temps and humidity are good when he is outside and he has all he needs like water and hides. Also do you plan on staying in the condo for some time as your little Sully will get big, as I'm sure you know. I am sure others will come in and comment.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I just have to say I love the theme! I showed my two sons and we were all laughing together.

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
You could a hole in 1/2 - 3/4 of the lid and staple some chicken wire to it so you can have a cover as well as shade for him. Like Crazy1 said, you'll want some substrate in there for him (1-2") as well as water and someplace to hide.

A brick and plywood enclosure would work fine too. You could put down a piece of plywood, cover it with something waterproof/resistant (like a shower curtain,) make a brick perimeter (1-2 blocks should be good,) add a couple inches of substrate, and something to cover it (chicken wire or something that still lets enough sun through.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lgabel:

1582359e3m7oqqvsg.gif

to the forum!!

The kid's sand box would be fine. Is there any way you can attach some shade cloth up above so that the sand box is in the shade? I mean like attach it to the house, high up so you can walk under it, then maybe over to the railing. And then you need to add some substrate, a hiding place, a food and water dish. You say you have an African spurred tortoise. Do you mean a sulcata? They grow very fast, and I'm surprised yours is still small enough to fit in the palm of your hand.

Your idea of using bricks or cinder blocks is also a good one. Same deal with the shade cloth. With a few inches of substrate on the bottom so he can burrow down into it is good, and you can keep it slightly moist to help his shell grow smooth.

Glad to have you with us here on the forum.

Yvonne

lgabel

5 Year Member
Thanks for all of the replies! I know, I thought the turtle sand box was funny too but its on sale for $20! I love the idea of cutting out a hole in the lid and placing chicken wire over it....that would work perfectly. I have been searching the forum and have some pretty good ideas for making his little habitat.....The condo comes with a table with umbrella so I am thinking of taking the umbrella and using that for shade. If not, I will make it another way! Thanks again for all the feedback!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
If you are cutting out a hole in the top (great idea David) after you set it up check the temps. Unless you cut quite a large hole it could really heat up. Just check and make sure it is not an oven for your little one.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
You could always make a mini umbrella for the tort enclosure :p Or you can have log hides or make caves out of rocks for him to have some shade. Such a cool idea !!!

lgabel

5 Year Member
That is truly awesome. Thank you for all the great ideas!! I can't wait to see how it comes out!

Status
Not open for further replies.