Sad day

ShellyTheTortoise71

Hello. I am sad to say that I am thinking of giving up my beloved tortoise, Shelly. She was my first tortoise that I adopted when I was only 12 :( I am so busy with school right now, so she's always indoors. She is so unhappy and unhealthy living in an indoor cage all the time. I really want to keep her, but I know that would be selfish. What should I do?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello. I am sad to say that I am thinking of giving up my beloved tortoise, Shelly. She was my first tortoise that I adopted when I was only 12 :( I am so busy with school right now, so she's always indoors. She is so unhappy and unhealthy living in an indoor cage all the time. I really want to keep her, but I know that would be selfish. What should I do?

It is a harsh reality sometimes when you admit you can no longer care for a pet because your circumstances have changed.

However, what singles you out is that you are brave enough to admit that you cannot do it and sensible enough to want the best for your tort.

So give yourself a huge pat on the back, try not to feel bad and accept a big electronic hug from all of us here.

The next step is to find the best home you possibly can for Shelly. Where do you live? Maybe a TFO friend can adopt :)

It's hard, but try not to feel too bad.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So sorry to hear this. Is there no way you could house her securely in the garden or make her a bigger indoor enclosure?

ShellyTheTortoise71

It is a harsh reality sometimes when you admit you can no longer care for a pet because your circumstances have changed.

However, what singles you out is that you are brave enough to admit that you cannot do it and sensible enough to want the best for your tort.

So give yourself a huge pat on the back, try not to feel bad and accept a big electronic hug from all of us here.

The next step is to find the best home you possibly can for Shelly. Where do you live? Maybe a TFO friend can adopt :)

It's hard, but try not to feel too bad.
Thank you. This is really hard, but I am trying to think of her and not me. I am located in CT, and I hope someone here can adopt her.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
With me going to school, I have no time to care for her anymore.
Such a shame but a good selfless decision if you think she may be better off with someone else.
Will you sell her or do you just want to rehome her?
Hopefully (as JoesMum said) someone here can adopt her and then you'll know she'll have good home and you can keep in touch and see how she's doing. Make sure its an active member though and not someone new who may take her and sell her on for profit.

ShellyTheTortoise71

Such a shame but a good selfless decision if you think she may be better off with someone else.
Will you sell her or do you just want to rehome her?
Hopefully (as JoesMum said) someone here can adopt her and then you'll know she'll have good home and you can keep in touch and see how she's doing. Make sure its an active member though and not someone new who may take her and sell her on for profit.
Thanks. I'm just rehoming her, no money. I just posted an ad here. I hope I'm making the right choice.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks. I'm just rehoming her, no money. I just posted an ad here. I hope I'm making the right choice.
Do you know of any active long term members who live in your area you could pm about her to see if they can help?
Sometimes new members suddenly appear when free torts are mentioned and they just want them to sell on and make money,
so if you know of a regular member I would try them first so you'll know where she'll end up.

ShellyTheTortoise71

Do you know of any active long term members who live in your area you could pm about her to see if they can help?
Sometimes new members suddenly appear when free torts are mentioned and they just want them to sell on and make money,
so if you know of a regular member I would try them first so you'll know where she'll end up.
I'm going to pm a few members that I trust. I am terrified of her going to someone who will pawn her off to make a quick buck.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm going to pm a few members that I trust. I am terrified of her going to someone who will pawn her off to make a quick buck.
I can understand that but sadly I think some people trawl the ads looking for freebies . Good luck with finding an active long term member.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

First of all your tortoise is not "unhappy". That is a human emotion. Either their needs are met, or they aren't. If there is something unhealthy about the indoor enclosure, then fix it. Your tortoise doesn't need your attention or affection. It needs the proper temps, a large enough enclosure and some food and clean water daily. It takes two minutes to dump, rinse and refill the water. It takes a few seconds to drop some food in a dish. If your lights are on timers and you have some decent indoor UV, your tortoise will not take a lot of time.

I was in your situation years ago and I gave away my fist turtle. I regret it daily. I can't tell you the happiness it would bring me to still have Tommy Turtle all these years later. Just take a minute to reassess how much time you are really putting into your tortoise, and think about about ways to streamline the care when time is short. Can someone help once in a while?

Don't make the same mistake I made. It will be worth it a few years from now to still have your childhood pet.

ShellyTheTortoise71

First of all your tortoise is not "unhappy". That is a human emotion. Either their needs are met, or they aren't. If there is something unhealthy about the indoor enclosure, then fix it. Your tortoise doesn't need your attention or affection. It needs the proper temps, a large enough enclosure and some food and clean water daily. It takes two minutes to dump, rinse and refill the water. It takes a few seconds to drop some food in a dish. If your lights are on timers and you have some decent indoor UV, your tortoise will not take a lot of time.

I was in your situation years ago and I gave away my fist turtle. I regret it daily. I can't tell you the happiness it would bring me to still have Tommy Turtle all these years later. Just take a minute to reassess how much time you are really putting into your tortoise, and think about about ways to streamline the care when time is short. Can someone help once in a while?

Don't make the same mistake I made. It will be worth it a few years from now to still have your childhood pet.
Thank you. I just hate seeing her sit in a cage all day and barely move around. I want her to have a better life.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
If time is your issue, really is nothing you can do. I'll say it: school is more important than a tortoise. Just reality.

I rehomed two redfoots 2 years ago whose owners went to college. I got them placed with an educational center for kids about wildlife and animals, plus they tour to schools and such for inner city kids on occasion. They have been a huge success and are hugely popular. As a bonus, the girls who had to give them up can see them anytime they come back from school.

I am sure your tortoise will find a great home with someone here. Just make sure they have thousands of posts, then you know they know something about torts:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

That is plenty big.

Are you using timers and thermostats for heating and lighting?

Of course this is your decision, but I'm telling you from personal experience that you will very likely regret it if you give up your tortoise. Maybe not. Maybe you are different than me. GIve it some time and think it over seriously before you do anything.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I spend almost zero time with my tortoise. Seriously...sometimes I go days without doing more than a simple glance into the heated house to make sure he's in there at night.
He has a heated house, fresh water, and a yard full of food and space to roam. That's good enough for him.

If you meet their needs, they will be fine. Attention and affection are NOT in their needs :)

If lack of time/attention is your issue, that doesn't affect a pet tortoise. A dog, yes. But the tortoise, no.
If you set them up properly, then you don't need to spend much time on their care.

I just want to share this so you can fully weigh your decision. :) :tort: