SAD, SAD, DAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Today I was driving on a local well traveled road and saw a gopher tortoise crossing the road and could not get up over the hump. I was going the opposite direction and turned around as soon as possible to help the tortoise get over the hump. On my way to him, a large truck ran over him, I was devastated! I stopped and removed the tortoise to the side, after I got closer it was not a gopher but it was an adult yellowfoot torotise. SAD, SAD, DAY!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I am so sorry. That must have been terrible. Poor thing.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
oh my gosh...is there a lot of housing in the area that he may have escaped from someones yard??

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
It is surely a sad day for torts,
Poor fella, could the lorry not avoid him?
I hate it when things happen like that,
Here in Spain it's a daily occurrence to see dead cats ,dogs rabbits on the road, I can't even drive over them when they are dead and (sorry) totally crushed.
I have to vivid imagination for my own good, I put myself in the body of that animal before and when it was hit and it is horrible and frustrating.
That probably why I did a stint in the physiatric ward, but I can't help it.

That guys is ME putting everything and everyone before ME!!!!!!!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Florida's one downside...it's the perfect dumping ground for unwanted reptiles:( Sorry you had to experience that Greg!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We have gotten several redfoots as drop offs, but never a yellowfoot. Many sulcatas have been seen wondering about in these parts also. Most non reptile people just think they are native and belong.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Why, oh why do people have animals and then don't give a ***** about them and just dump them like garbage........ Sorry I am sooooooo angry.....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Now we don't know the back story, it could be a well taken cared of pet that just escaped. As for the running over of it, it is sad, and I know some people in the US make a sport of running over box turtles on the roads, if it was an accident, there is no need to be angry, or guilty (aldadman).

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
When I was young (under 10) my dad, brother and I were coming home from grandmas when dad spotted a tortoise crossing the road. We were passed him before dad could stop. The car behind us hit him... to this day I can hear that sound in my head... sad day indeed

B K

5 Year Member
It’s sad but I seen a lot of that in Florida people will run them over on purpose. I chased a UPS driver down for doing it but he would not open his door my wife was yelling at me to get back in the car but my head just exploded when I seen him swerve to hit it.

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
It is very sad when these things happen, i hope i never knock an animal down whilst driving, though accidents do happen, i can't believe people would do it on purpose, swerve to hit it, seriously, now that makes me sick!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well not to be branded a meanie or anything but I have hit many many rats and squirrels with my car.(unintentionally of course) They all just seem to run out in front of me at the last moment, I can't understand it.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
that sucks man. i accidentally ran over a box turtle while i was stationed at camp lejeune. i came up over a hill and it was there. i swerved to miss it and nearly did. i just grazed it. i stopped and picked him up, his shell was cracked but otherwise ok. i took him home and cleaned him up as best i could then superglued his shell together. i kept him about a month and he seemed fine. i let him go in one of the many large ranges on camp lejeune. as far as i know, he's still kickin'!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
dmmj said:
Now we don't know the back story, it could be a well taken cared of pet that just escaped. As for the running over of it, it is sad, and I know some people in the US make a sport of running over box turtles on the roads, if it was an accident, there is no need to be angry, or guilty (aldadman).

Right dmmj, the running over part was not intentional, I am sure o fit!

Status
Not open for further replies.