Russian tortoise won't eat

Big Mac

My Russian tortoise will only eat every other day to every 3 days his basking spot is at around 95 degrees his cool end is 73 degrees I soak him once a week he's kept In a 55 gallon Rubbermaid on cocoa fiber and wood chips (a safe wood) he has a uvb bulb and is offered spring mix without spinache every day help he has also only pooped once in about 3 weeks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
welcome!
It's very likely that your enclosure is too dry.
Also, some types of lights commonly sold in pet shops cause stress and even blindness to young tortoises. can you post a photo of your light?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
very small things can throw a tortoise off of feeding. could be too dry could be too small

Big Mac

welcome!
It's very likely that your enclosure is too dry.
Also, some types of lights commonly sold in pet shops cause stress and even blindness to young tortoises. can you post a photo of your light?
It's a repti sun bulb

Big Mac

I spray my tank once a day should I maybe be pouring water into the substrate?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I spray my tank once a day should I maybe be pouring water into the substrate?
If you pour water onto the substrate, it'll stay moist longer and if your tort digs down some to find humidity it'll be damp underneath. When you spray the top layer it tends to evaporate fairly quickly.

Big Mac

My Russian tortoise will only eat every other day to every 3 days his basking spot is at around 95 degrees his cool end is 73 degrees I soak him once a week he's kept In a 55 gallon Rubbermaid on cocoa fiber and wood chips (a safe wood) he has a uvb bulb and is offered spring mix without spinache every day help he has also only pooped once in about 3 weeks
Is it the coil style or the long, strip style?
it is a standard basking bulb

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Ok so not this, right?
FS-C10M_ReptiSun_10.0_Mini.jpg

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
No That is what my uvb bulb looks like my basking bulb looks like this
Ok, the type of bulb in the photo I posted is one that most people choose not to use due to the risk of it damaging your tort's eyes. A strip UV bulb, like an Arcadia, are what a lot of people use. Or you could use an mercury vapor bulb which provides heat and UV in one bulb.

Big Mac

Ok, the type of bulb in the photo I posted is one that most people choose not to use due to the risk of it damaging your tort's eyes. A strip UV bulb, like an Arcadia, are what a lot of people use. Or you could use an mercury vapor bulb which provides heat and UV in one bulb.
Ok I have actually gone to the reptile shop up the street and I'm on my way home with new lights I have moistened down his enclosure anything else I can do to get him to eat he hasn't touched his lettuce yet

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Ok I have actually gone to the reptile shop up the street and I'm on my way home with new lights I have moistened down his enclosure anything else I can do to get him to eat he hasn't touched his lettuce yet
When you say lettuce, what exactly do you mean? I've copied and pasted the diet section from Tom's Russian caresheet.
Russian tortoises need broadleaf weeds. You will need to learn about the weeds near you and which ones are okay to feed or not. Pics can be posted here on the forum in the "Plant ID" section, or you can take samples to a local nursery. Look for dandelion, sow thistle, mallow, filaree, hawksbit, and many more. If you are not 100% sure that your source is free of pesticides and other chemicals, don't feed anything from there.
You can grow your own food too. Here is one of my favorites: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix
I also get lots of seeds here: http://www.groworganic.com
If you must use grocery store foods I like to favor spring mix, endive and escarole heavily. Also add in carrot tops, cilantro, mustard, turnip and collard greens, and lots of other leafy greens.
It is a good idea to add a product called "Salad Style" to grocery store greens to add some fiber: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/salad-style-food-topper/
This is a new food topper and I like it a lot so far: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay
You can also feed them grape, mulberry and hibiscus leaves, tender young spineless opuntia cactus pads, Mazuri tortoise chow and ZooMed Grassland tortoise food. Alternating and mixing up any of these foods will give your russian a good diet and meet its nutritional needs.

Big Mac

I have been feeding him
When you say lettuce, what exactly do you mean? I've copied and pasted the diet section from Tom's Russian caresheet.
Russian tortoises need broadleaf weeds. You will need to learn about the weeds near you and which ones are okay to feed or not. Pics can be posted here on the forum in the "Plant ID" section, or you can take samples to a local nursery. Look for dandelion, sow thistle, mallow, filaree, hawksbit, and many more. If you are not 100% sure that your source is free of pesticides and other chemicals, don't feed anything from there.
You can grow your own food too. Here is one of my favorites: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix
I also get lots of seeds here: http://www.groworganic.com
If you must use grocery store foods I like to favor spring mix, endive and escarole heavily. Also add in carrot tops, cilantro, mustard, turnip and collard greens, and lots of other leafy greens.
It is a good idea to add a product called "Salad Style" to grocery store greens to add some fiber: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/salad-style-food-topper/
This is a new food topper and I like it a lot so far: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay
You can also feed them grape, mulberry and hibiscus leaves, tender young spineless opuntia cactus pads, Mazuri tortoise chow and ZooMed Grassland tortoise food. Alternating and mixing up any of these foods will give your russian a good diet and meet its nutritional needs.
I feed him spring mix escarole dandelion greens and mustard greens I just saw my tortoise go over and poke his head into litterly touch the lettuce with his beak multiple times then walk away any ideas

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I have been feeding him

I feed him spring mix escarole dandelion greens and mustard greens I just saw my tortoise go over and poke his head into litterly touch the lettuce with his beak multiple times then walk away any ideas
Have you tried Mazuri? Or Radicchio?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
No I've heard bad things about all tortoise diets is this false
I won't say its false, but there are a lot of different opinions in the tortoise world about what is right and wrong. One thing I have learned is that moderation and variety are the key. Most members here offer Mazuri 1 or 2 times a week. I've also learned that when a tort isn't eating, getting it to eat ANYTHING is a big step in the right direction. Opuntia cactus pads (which you can order online) are also a big favorite in the tort world and would be worth trying.

Do you have a yard or somewhere you can go and pick fresh, pesticide free weeds?

Big Mac

I won't say its false, but there are a lot of different opinions in the tortoise world about what is right and wrong. One thing I have learned is that moderation and variety are the key. Most members here offer Mazuri 1 or 2 times a week. I've also learned that when a tort isn't eating, getting it to eat ANYTHING is a big step in the right direction. Opuntia cactus pads (which you can order online) are also a big favorite in the tort world and would be worth trying.

Do you have a yard or somewhere you can go and pick fresh, pesticide free weeds?
I do I actually live on a farm lol