Russian won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
I work at a large chain pet store. Back in December we sold an imported Russian to a customer. The tortoise has supposedly never eaten since December. The tortoise has been to the vet twice and dewormed/departs sited once. The vet has no ideas why it won't eat.
I took in the tortoise and have tried mazuri, zoomed pellets, dandelion, spring mix, opuntia fruit opuntia pad, escarole, squash, carrots and it won't go for anything .

Any advice? Also tried the warm baby food soak.

I also have 3 hermann's and a redfoot so I have some tort experience. Cage is warm 85 and 95 under mvb. About 60% humidity.[/QUOTE]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I may be wrong here, but 85 ambient temp seems too high for a Russian. What are night temps? Also, how is he acting otherwise? Does he just stay hiding or does he roam around? Peeing? Has he had any bowel movements at all since December? Possibly going through a brumation state? Just throwing out whatever I can think of.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Hides all the time. Night temp mid 60s to low 70s. Only moves if picked up and since I've had him no bm or urine but I've only had him 2 days.

85 is on the warm side of the tub the cool side is in the mid 70s. It was 95 under the mvb.

He has a warm and cool hide but just stays in the closest one to where I put him.

I can't believe he hasn't eaten since December as being awake since then I would have thought he would have perished months ago. The previous owner just said she never saw him eat.

He is light but doesn't feel hollow.

Anyone know any tricks to help me out?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Newly imported Russians can have a tough time adjusting to captivity. He probably didn't eat over winter because, even though the temperatures were fine, day length was short and he was trying to brumate (hibernate). Now that it's getting warmer, he might still be accustomed to feeding on live vegetation, and not really used to eating plants lying flat on a dish with supplements sprinkled over them. Is it nice enough yet in eastern Pennsylvania to let him outside? He might eat if allowed to forage for himself. In time, he can get used to captivity, but for the time being maybe he just needs things to be more like they were in the wild.

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I agree with GeoTerraTestudo! But if you don't have a lot room for him to forage like he does in the wild, try sprinkling pieces of strawberry on his food. The sweetness in berries might trigger his appetite but be careful not too much because fruits will give Russians diarrhea and could become dehydrated. Good luck and give us updates if anything change!!

Jenncure

5 Year Member
I would also try putting some organic pumpkin on top of your torts greens (canned is fine if you can't find fresh). They are attracted to the orange color and it is much better for them than fruit.

Minority1

5 Year Member
wow a russian saying no to dandelions. My little one always tries to escape whenever it's placed in my outdoor enclosure because he can see all the fresh grass, weeds and plants growing around him.

Hopefully it won't be long for your imported russian to gain it's appetite back. Did the previous owner give you anymore information? enclosure, temp, substrate, the gist?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I agree with all of the above suggestions and advice.
Your enclosure temps sound OK. However, he is new to you, so he is starting over again. Many Russians seem to need even a few weeks to adjust to a new home, and start eating.
It simply may be yet another few weeks before you can get him to eat. Keep soaking him every day to other day with the baby food soaks. Let him adjust to his new home. (If you can afford a visit to a reptile vet, they can tube feed him some nutrients and fluids for a 'jump start', but that's optional and you don't necessarily want to traumatize him). No need to reworm if it has been done twice at this point.
As soon as the ground temps get above 60f, stick him under the basking lamp then outside for an hour in some safe weeds and see what happens. But watch him carefully.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Minority1 said:
wow a russian saying no to dandelions. My little one always tries to escape whenever it's placed in my outdoor enclosure because he can see all the fresh grass, weeds and plants growing around him.

Hopefully it won't be long for your imported russian to gain it's appetite back. Did the previous owner give you anymore information? enclosure, temp, substrate, the gist?

The owner had it in similar conditions to that which I have it in. I was advising her what to do.

I tried pumpkin, strawberries, blue berries, mango, apple, (my Box turtles and Redfoot like all of that). I'm hoping with a longer photoperiod it will wake him up. When I do pick him up he swims in the air, his eye are open and clear and he moves alot...just when I put him down he turns to stone and doesn't move.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Well I took the tort outside...then 10 minutes later he was eating leaves.

I guess that's better than nothing.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Raymo2477 said:

It's better than better than nothing. It's great! Fresh plants growing outside are the moist nutritious, whether your tortoise is accustomed to eating indoors or not.

In any case, I'm happy your guy is eating outside. In time, you can get him used to eating weeds inside and groceries outside, and finally groceries and quality tortoise pellets inside, too. Before long, you'll have an acclimated pet tortoise. :)

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Raymo2477 said:

Yay!!! That is fantastic, good luck with everything in the future. Hopefully he'll adjust easier will exploring the outdoors more often, if possible :)

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Well today was almost 80 and I finished my new jumbo habitat for my Hermann's herd. I decided to take the Russian Rocky out and to a small 4x4 frame I used form my Hermann's last summer. he ate fresh weeds most of the afternoon! I'm going to try fresh weeds in his bowl inside over the weekend when the weather will be too cold to key him play outside.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Excellent! Great is right! Great info for everyone. This little Russian was just "shell shocked" from going from his wild habitat to captivity. Once he was outside in the fresh air and where he could see things to graze on, he was yeah. I know this! It shows how these little ones need time to make the transition from where ever there is, to here, with us! Yay! : )

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Raymo2477 said:
Well today was almost 80 and I finished my new jumbo habitat for my Hermann's herd. I decided to take the Russian Rocky out and to a small 4x4 frame I used form my Hermann's last summer. he ate fresh weeds most of the afternoon! I'm going to try fresh weeds in his bowl inside over the weekend when the weather will be too cold to key him play outside.

Great news, man. Glad to hear it. :)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Wow, he's eating clover, eh? He must be hungry then, because my Russians never touch the stuff (although my redfoot used to love it). Clovers are palatable, and being legumes, they are a good source of protein. At some point, if you can plunk him down near some other weeds like dandelion or prickly lettuce, that would be good so he can get some variety in his diet.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Glad to see this little one eating!

Status
Not open for further replies.