Russian Tortoise won't eat

Katbranch

Hi, I recently got a Russian Tortoise, mature male, about 3 months ago. He's always been very active and had a voracious appetite but over the past few weeks he's been less active and won't eat. He will come out of his house when he hears my voice and he will sniff his food but will only pick at it or won't touch it. He also isn't soaking in his dish as much as he used to. He eats a diet of fresh produce and I change it up every couple weeks to keep him interested but he won't even eat his favorite foods anymore. I changed all his bedding just in case and I keep his water clean. He has a UVA/UVB daytime light and a day and night heat lamp. I am thinking of taking him to the vet but wanted to get some opinions first. Thanks! 20170325_091453.jpg

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Hi, I recently got a Russian Tortoise, mature male, about 3 months ago. He's always been very active and had a voracious appetite but over the past few weeks he's been less active and won't eat. He will come out of his house when he hears my voice and he will sniff his food but will only pick at it or won't touch it. He also isn't soaking in his dish as much as he used to. He eats a diet of fresh produce and I change it up every couple weeks to keep him interested but he won't even eat his favorite foods anymore. I changed all his bedding just in case and I keep his water clean. He has a UVA/UVB daytime light and a day and night heat lamp. I am thinking of taking him to the vet but wanted to get some opinions first. Thanks! View attachment 205451
Corn is not good for your tortie. Go to the care sheet for a Russian tortoise on top of this section. You have all the info on food, temperature and conditions you need to provide for your pet in there. Compere and try to fix your mistakes, their probably the cause of your pet not being active. Post pics of your enclosure, members here will help you set up your tort correct. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
A change in activity is almost always caused by temperature problems.

We need to know more about your enclosure and lighting (photos make life easier) and the temperatures in the enclosure.

Your tort's diet is weedy leafy greens.

They cannot digest sugars properly - they cause digestive and kidney problems - so fruit, tomato, pepper and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all.

Corn is also sugary and, along with peas and beans, is high in protein and should not be fed.

KathOm

Agree about the diet advice above, leafy is best, dandelions, plantain, clover etc are great.
Anyway... Is he pooing normally? The only time mine stopped eating he was constipated, if he's not drinking/soaking this may be the case. If so, Have you tried giving him a lukewarm bath (10-15min or so) for the next couple of days. If this is the problem you'll soon see when it's cleared!

Digger&Blinky

My tortoise went through this stage but I ended up spending more time with him trying different foods and just giving him love .