new Russian won't eat

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
Hi,
My new Russian Tortoise that I have had three days still won't eat. He is basking and walking around his new habitat and digging in some and sleeping. I have soaked him and offered him mixed greens, Romaine lettuce and Kale and hibiscus flowers. Is he just getting used to his new habitat or should I be worried? How long should it be before he starts eating? Anyone else have this experience or advice? thanks,

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
To add for those who will ask, His enclosure temp is 85-90 degrees, closer to 100 in the basking area, cypress mulch substrate, a deep layer where he can dig down, UVB lighting to light the whole area up except under his hide box. He chooses to dig a little near the basking spot and is sleeping there mostly. He is not walking around like he is restless or anything. He has a shallow water dish which he checked out. He moves from one area to another every once in a while. Any ideas to get him eating?

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
my new Russian didn't eat or move around much. TurtleSource traded for another one. The new one is much more active, ate the first day then not for a week, now he is eating a little. He likes yellow squash and cucumbers with a bit of cucumber. He goes to the vet for a worming and check tomorrow.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Tortoises take some time to get adjusted to their new keeper,enclosure, food...etc. Once they settle down they will eat.

Try to upload a pix of your enclosure..

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I recently built a bigger enclosure for my Redfoot 5x as big as the one he had. With a nice heated hide and all kinds of plants. You would think he would've been happy but after moving him into it he didn't eat for a week. They really just don't like change at all.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I exchanged the tortoise for another one. The first one was so inactive and didn't eat for 3 weeks, so the Turtle Source exchanged him. The new one was immediately more active, didn't eat for a week, but is now eating and I got a stool sample from him, took it to the reptile vet. He has pinworms so he has had his first dose of wormer, but otherwise the vet thinks he is healthy. He is outside as well as getting soaked and all in all doing better than the first one. I have named him Rudy. He comes out to bask and has his hide where he retreats to and is basically acting like a healthy tortoise. thanks for all the comments, they were helpful, I just think though told not so, that these were recently wild caught and the first one wasn't adjusting well to his new habitat.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I exchanged the tortoise for another one. The first one was so inactive and didn't eat for 3 weeks, so the Turtle Source exchanged him. The new one was immediately more active, didn't eat for a week, but is now eating and I got a stool sample from him, took it to the reptile vet. He has pinworms so he has had his first dose of wormer, but otherwise the vet thinks he is healthy. He is outside as well as getting soaked and all in all doing better than the first one. I have named him Rudy. He comes out to bask and has his hide where he retreats to and is basically acting like a healthy tortoise. thanks for all the comments, they were helpful, I just think though told not so, that these were recently wild caught and the first one wasn't adjusting well to his new habitat.

They take a lot of time to adjust to anything and are very routine. You need to have patience with this species.