Russian Tortoise enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocco5410

5 Year Member
image-905091166.png

Let me know what you guys think. Just got the 100 watt red night bulb but I also have a 150 watt UVA and 100 watt UVB bulb that runs through the day. This is my first tortoise so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi rocco5410, and welcome to the Forum!!

I can see that you put a lot of thought into the habitat, and it really is a nice place for a tortoise to live, however, I think it is way too small for a full grown steppe (russian) tortoise. The size is more suitable for a baby tortoise.

I can't really tell what you're using for substrate. Is it alfalfa pellets? Also, I'm not a big fan of the dual light fixture. I (now this is my opinion, and MY preference...not a hard, fast tortoise rule) prefer to have one light at one end of the habitat and another for nighttime at the other end.

You can get by pretty cheap buy using those great big plastic storage bins for habitats. You can even cut out an end on each end of two bins and put them together to make one big bin.

rocco5410

5 Year Member
It's a 50 gallon tank I know it might look kind of small ..how big would you suggest?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have to remember that while 50 gallons of water in a tank is quite a bit, when you're looking at the only available space to a tortoise, the floor, the gallons don't enter into the equation.

Like I mentioned above, plastic bins are a better choice because they're cheaper and you can put two together to make one big one.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Welcome.
You have made a great effort! Pet stores often give information that is dated, if that is your source.

Russian tortoises don't need night heat. In fact, they thrive on a temp drop at night, even into the 50's, certainly your house temp should be fine. As long as they can bask and warm up during the day. (having your lights on a timer is a very good idea).

Most torts need room to wander around, so floor space is important.

Check out this web site; http://russiantortoise.net/
Even clean untreated garden dirt works as a substrate. (contrary to the information on the above site, most of us don't add sand, but the information there is otherwise very good).

Please feel free to ask questions!

RainbowDrops

5 Year Member
This is my set-up for my baby Russian but i need to move the tube closer to the heat bulb! (Ignore the cup lol!)

Attachments

• image-1289995290.png
    image-1289995290.png
    136 KB · Views: 71
Status
Not open for further replies.