lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NY
I have an enclosure for my Russian that is 3x6. i have one uvb/uva bulb its a 100+ watt. i was thinking about getting a long tube light for the other side of his enclosure? what is recommended?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
If you have an MVB bulb, which is definitely what it sounds like you have if it produces UVB and still uses that many watts, you don't really need another UVB light on the other side of the enclosure. If you just want it for visibility, just use a regular flourescent tube light from a hardware store.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
A single lamp, MVB or incandescent is not enough to adequately light an 3' x 6' enclosure. There are a couple of options: You could keep the MVB at one end and use at least one fluorescent tube lamp to light the rest of the enclosure in order to provide adequate daytime light. This could be with another UVB lamp, which will provide better overall UV saturation throughtout the entire enclosure which is idea. With a UV tube giving very good UV and light saturation there isn't a real need for an MVB lamp so this could be replaced with an standard incandescent that produces localized basking heat and light. That is also far less expensive and will last much longer than and MVB lamp. Standard UV tubes are available at hardware stores for about half the price as the same size UV tube. While the standard tubes provide good daytime light, if they're a daylight tube, but they do not provide an adequate level of UV.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
NY
GBtortoises said:
A single lamp, MVB or incandescent is not enough to adequately light an 3' x 6' enclosure. There are a couple of options: You could keep the MVB at one end and use at least one fluorescent tube lamp to light the rest of the enclosure in order to provide adequate daytime light. This could be with another UVB lamp, which will provide better overall UV saturation throughtout the entire enclosure which is idea. With a UV tube giving very good UV and light saturation there isn't a real need for an MVB lamp so this could be replaced with an standard incandescent that produces localized basking heat and light. That is also far less expensive and will last much longer than and MVB lamp. Standard UV tubes are available at hardware stores for about half the price as the same size UV tube. While the standard tubes provide good daytime light, if they're a daylight tube, but they do not provide an adequate level of UV.

Thank you for the useful information, and money saving tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.