Russian Tortoise Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

BetsyTheTort

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I just got my first tortoise a couple days ago. We are moving in a month so we needed a moveable enclosure until we get to our new house and can get her a tortoise table.

As of now my russian tortoise is in 50 gallon tupperware. For the bedding we use forest floor reptile bedding, its like mulch for reptiles. She has a 75 watt UVB light and a 100 watt basking bulb.

Is this adequate for her?

Attachments

• betsytortcage.jpg
    betsytortcage.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 128

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, Ar
BetsyTheTort said:
Hi all,

I just got my first tortoise a couple days ago. We are moving in a month so we needed a moveable enclosure until we get to our new house and can get her a tortoise table.

As of now my russian tortoise is in 50 gallon tupperware. For the bedding we use forest floor reptile bedding, its like mulch for reptiles. She has a 75 watt UVB light and a 100 watt basking bulb.

Is this adequate for her?

Sounds great. Mine really like having one corner with the bedding being a little deeper so they can dig in and climb up it. You could also give it a hide. Easiest thing is to buy a plastic dish pan and cut an opening in it out of it. http://amzn.com/B0000CFSCS theres a link to what I mean but they are like $3 at walmart type stores.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
A quick search in the threads about coil uvb bulbs will give you some information about how harmful they are to a torts eyes. Take it back to the store and get a tube uvb light if you can offer regular sunshine.

Plain dirt is my favorite to use for bedding..clean top soil is my next choice. I like "dirt" vs. chunks of wood for them to be on.

I'm sure you can also return your water dish ($10or so from the pet store) and get a terra cotta saucer for $3 or 4 at home depot instead. Its bigger for your tort to get into, shallow enough to be safe. Its a win win.

I think your tub size is fine temporarily till you make the table.

Take some time and look into what a proper diet consist of :)

Congrats on bring a new tort keeper

Typo..meant to say(if you can't offer sunshine)

Hard to post on my phone sometimes..grr

Status
Not open for further replies.