Russian tortoise enclosure ideas

Justin C.

Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit, MI
Need some help with Russian tortoise enclosure. Want to build with my son but don't know how to set up for a happy tortoise. Size is limited so looking at 4'*2' (or3). With a hide box and log hide. Substrate play sand and coconut fiber. 100w zoo med heat lamp 10" from substrate and 18" uvb tube (15" watt) pet store told me to get this even though not desert. I want some plant (live). Just need a good head start.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Russians love to climb & dig so go deep with your base, also, everyone has an opinion but sand is not a favorite from what I have read. Causes impactions internally when ingested and is not good for eyes when you have a digger. If you can not go bigger than 4x2, maybe try a two story. A lot of folks have them & it seems to work well plus whatever you use as a ramp can double as a hide. Good luck!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
*Make it as big as you can. Russians are roamers.
*converting a bookcase to a tortoise enclosure can work.
*check out http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp for more ideas about plants.
*make it tall enough to accommodate at least 4 inches, if not 6 inches of substrate (topsoil and coir mixed is my fav) AND the height of your tortoise x2.
*cap the corners, or preferably the whole edge with a lip of wood.
*add small logs, rocks, etc., to give it a natural look. A piece of slate for the tortoise to bask on under the basking light AND midway for the tortoise to feed on.
***I will stop here, lol