DP2701

Location (City and/or State)
East Sussex
Hi guys, I’m picking up a Russian tortoise as soon as I’ve finished building the enclosure. He’s a rescue and approximately 6-9 years old. I’ve read a fair bit but was hoping for some ideas. I’m thinking of putting his basking spot up in the top right corner. He has an open hide under the log to the left, but was thinking of making another secluded totally dark hide. In this I think I will add a ceramic heat lamp with a habistat to regulate heat. Has anyone got a picture of their hide? Also substrate wise I’ve got some Mediterranean topsoil and normal pet friendly topsoil. I Would appreciate any ideas and help please.

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpeg
    IMG_0345.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is way too small for and adult, way too small! You need a minimum of a 4x8 foot. If you can't do better than that, than you are not really rescuing it. You are putting it in a situation of needing rescue.
Then you need a a tube florescent for uvb. Incandescent flood bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitter for night heat and any added day heat needed
Basking temp 95-100
All over day temp 75-80
Night temp 70
Humidity or humid hide of 5?30-50%

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys, I’m picking up a Russian tortoise as soon as I’ve finished building the enclosure. He’s a rescue and approximately 6-9 years old. I’ve read a fair bit but was hoping for some ideas. I’m thinking of putting his basking spot up in the top right corner. He has an open hide under the log to the left, but was thinking of making another secluded totally dark hide. In this I think I will add a ceramic heat lamp with a habistat to regulate heat. Has anyone got a picture of their hide? Also substrate wise I’ve got some Mediterranean topsoil and normal pet friendly topsoil. I Would appreciate any ideas and help please.
Hello and welcome!

Most of the info found online is the same old wrong info that hs been followed and repeated for years. Soil should never be used for tortoises.

Take a look at this. There is a heating and lighting breakdown and a temperate species care sheet near the bottom:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. Good advice has been offered!

DP2701

East Sussex
Wellington this is the stuff

Attachments

• IMG_0351.jpeg
    IMG_0351.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0350.jpeg
    IMG_0350.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It sounds like it is Coconut coir which can be used. It's just as good as orchid bark but more messy.
If you find it too messy, you can get orchid bark down the road, and just add it to the top of this coir.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

DP2701

East Sussex
Wellington this is the new enclosure 6 x 3 foot with 2 x 3 foot basking platform. I Just need to line it make some grip for the ramp.

Attachments

• IMG_0364.jpeg
    IMG_0364.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wellington this is the stuff
Looking at the ingredients, it says it is 50% "washed and buffered coir". Buffered with what? I wouldn't use this. Look for coir that is just plain coco coir with nothing added. Or use fine grade orchid bark.