Russian Tort Appetite

gg888

Location (City and/or State)
England
So, recently my two year old Russian suffered an injury to his shell. Other than that he seems to be in good health, and I am now playing nurse!

But obviously now I'm behaving like an overprotective mother, and worrying about everything. My little Bertie has never been a huge eater. He is fed on a mixture of Kale, Romain, dandelions, various weeds from my garden and a little cucumber/carrot to encourage him to eat the other stuff.

My question is, for those of you that have Russians, what is their appetite like? Bertie has a low appetite, but he poops normally and everything. Maybe he's just not a big eater! My sulcata has a crazy appetite, so maybe I'm just over thinking things.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
a healthy Russian tortoise should be eating you out of house and home. Is he on any medications?

gg888

England
a healthy Russian tortoise should be eating you out of house and home. Is he on any medications?
No, nothing at all. He's never had any issues. I've had him over a year now and he's never been any different. He's active, loves basking under his lamp, doesn't mind soaks and enjoys a good chin rub. I rarely see him eat, he's obviously doing his eating when I'm not looking!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You said he had a head injury? How is that being treated?

gg888

England
Not a head injury, it was his shell. He made a miraculous escape from his outdoor enclosure. I'm pretty sure (because the gap he squeezed out of was so small) it damaged his new growth which is more delicate. I'm giving him daily soaks and I have been advised to dab a little neosporin on the damaged areas.

gg888

England
image.jpegI am also increasing his calcium to try and strengthen up his new growth and keeping him inside away from flies

gg888

England
I've also been keeping an eye on his weight since I got him, and he is definitely gaining. He's definitely grown as well. A friend of mine got a Russian that hatched at the same time as ours did, and her baby has barely grown compared to Bertie