Spring fever for my Russian tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
My Russian pair have had an uncharacteristically small appetite this past week. All they get during the winter is grocery greens, Mazuri, and the occasional carrot or fruit as a treat, so I think they might be a bit tired of the usual fare. Spring is being a little sluggish about coming to Colorado this year, but I managed to find a nice-sized dandelion sprout today. I offered it to my male Russian, and he eagerly scarfed it down! That a' boy! A taste of spring perked him right up! Hang on, guys, just a little longer. There will be more where that came from soon! :)

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
My Russians as well!! I agree about the colorado weather too, my torts are very eager to get outside and so am I!! I have yet to find any dandelions :( my torts miss them!!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I'm in Oregon and I had to mow the yard the other day. Front, back and side yard are full of dandelion blossoms and I won't even mention the pasture.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Wow we have several feet of snow-we have a long wait for Spring yet!!!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Man o' man! This is when im very happy to be in california! We have been in the 60-70 degree range for weeks now. My Russians have been awake, nomming on weeds and soaking up sunshine for the last month. There has been lots of mating and even some nesting behaviors. Its frisky out there!

ShaqT

5 Year Member
i myself have 2 Russian Tortoise's but one is temperamental do to the fact it is about to lay eggs at any giving moment.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Louise, you need a big ole well insulated greenhouse out back where you can hang out with your tortoises. So win the lottery!

They sure do like their wild greens, especially this time of the year when they are young and tender.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Yes, they sure do like their wild greens! Mine have been chowing down like little piggies ever since the good stuff is growing again...

lynnedit said:
Louise, you need a big ole well insulated greenhouse out back where you can hang out with your tortoises. So win the lottery!

They sure do like their wild greens, especially this time of the year when they are young and tender.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yesterday I found some nice, young sprigs of dandelion and prickly lettuce, and both my Russians gobbled them up eagerly.

This morning, I managed to stave off spring fever by offering some Mazuri along with their red leaf lettuce and chicory. Sure seemed to make the boring old stuff seem more attractive.

The weather just might stay nice enough this afternoon to make it a tortoise day. Here's hoping! :)

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
lynnedit said:

Yes I guess buying a ticket would be a good start!
I always think about building a straw bale- really, really well insulated building so my torts have a really large winter enclosure.
For now my new tortoise room will have to do- they are all getting 8ft by 3.5 ft indoor spaces and hopefully in Summer a big outdoor secure area.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Cowboy_Ken said:
I'm in Oregon and I had to mow the yard the other day. Front, back and side yard are full of dandelion blossoms and I won't even mention the pasture.

I think you need to gather them up and send them to members of the Forum. :D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Spn785 said:
Cowboy_Ken said:

I think you need to gather them up and send them to members of the Forum. :D

This is how we growem. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364945086.717529.jpg

Yup. That's a 25 cent piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.