Russian not eating or pooping

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronxe124

5 Year Member
I need a little help with this. My russian used to have a HUGE appetite and would poop when he was freaked out or was soaking. He hasn't eaten nearly as much as he used to. I switched to a new enclosure, and since I'm not certain to the link rules on this forum I won't post a youtube link until I'm clarified. Its VERY generously sized with a water bowl and shade and everything it needs. How can I solve this issue? Also, I used to feed him spring mix with vitamin supplements, but I found out what would be better for him diet wise and started feeding him kale, mustard greens and other dark leafy greens. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Bronxe124:

Welcome to the forum!!

My first thought on the "my turtle won't eat" threads is always, "Is he warm enough?"

Since you have him in a new habitat (and yes!!! links to photos please! Always welcome and sometimes necessary), maybe the light isn't doing a good job giving him a warm enough area. When they know they can't warm up they won't eat because if the food doesn't digest it sits there and rots.

I would continue to give him the spring mix, just add the new greens to it. There's nothing wrong with Spring Mix. And the addition of the other dark, leafy greens makes it a well-rounded diet.

When introducing new food, its always best to start small. Continue to feed the old food, adding the new food in increasingly larger amounts, but start small.

Can't wait to see your link.

bronxe124

5 Year Member
Okay I solved this issue. I moved the food closer to the heat lamp so he was warmer as he ate. Thanks for the advice! You were very helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.