russian sleeping too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildredpony

5 Year Member
can any one tell me if it is normal for my Russian to sleep all night and day only to come out go and do his bathroom thing eat go back to sleep? he started doing this on sunday and he is still doing it. He is 4 in. and I have had him for 4 months up until this past week he was out moving around most of the day. His lighting is all right and his food is the same I haven't changed anything for him to act this way, he eats good and I soak him. I don't know how old he is because the pet store said he was about a year old I think that is wrong he looks old. could he be trying to hibernate?[/color]

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
Hibernation occurs in the winter, so unless where you are it's very cold and he's outside, he's not hibernating. Are you feeding a wide varied diet? You said you feed the same thing. Another possibilty is the enclosure is too "boring" for the tortoise.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

wildredpony

5 Year Member
hunterk997 said:
Hibernation occurs in the winter, so unless where you are it's very cold and he's outside, he's not hibernating. Are you feeding a wide varied diet? You said you feed the same thing. Another possibilty is the enclosure is too "boring" for the tortoise.

I feed him spring mix, cactus, salad topper and I sprinkle TNT or hibiscus powder on his food, and no it is hot here. I don't know what you mean by his house is boring?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Post a picture of your set up. What size is it?
Tell us exactly what your temps are: basking, warm, cool sides. And now do you measure your temps?
What kind of lighting do you have?
All tortoises, including Russians, go through periods where they are less active. But you should step back and review the whole set up.

Pet stores are usually wrong about age, and quite often, care.

Finally, Russian tortoises are happiest in outdoor enclosures, they really thrive there.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
wildredpony said:
hunterk997 said:

I feed him spring mix, cactus, salad topper and I sprinkle TNT or hibiscus powder on his food, and no it is hot here. I don't know what you mean by his house is boring?

I mean, if you don't have enough obstacles and sight barriers, the tortoise will get bored being able to see every wall, making it boring for the tortoise. You can make a hill or valley, or add some plants.

wildredpony

5 Year Member
new 039.JPGThese are the pictures of Bernard and his house its a 75 gal. tank and the hot side is 90 and the cold side is 60 he has a basking light and powersun light that stay on all the time for 12 hours and and heat emitter at night. When he wakes up one a day he eats and poops good and soaks. then he goes back to sleep and I cant get him to wake up.new 037.JPGnew 050.JPGnew 040.JPG oh he is 4in. and 361 grams. hes heavy like a little rock the pet store said he was about a year old but that doesent seem right. I also sent the picture of his back end so you can see that hes a boy.

Last edited by a moderator:

bpham93

5 Year Member
It doesn't look too bad, but russians need A LOT of room because they like

to roam thats why an outdoor enclosure is always better if you have room

for one and the condition is right. Glass is a no bueno, you don't want them to know that theres a bigger world out there that they can roam, you should defnitely cover

it up or else he will be stress out with trying to get out. Anyways your enclosure could use some

plants, and rocks, something he can climb over. Your diet looks pretty good

though, so maybe its just the enclosure that is the problem.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They do well with a drop in temperatures at night. Down to 60 is good. So turn off that heat emitter at night.

wildredpony

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your input I have covered three sides of his tank and this morning he woke up by him self, so maybe hes just moody? I hope all this is some kind of fazz because I am the one that is stressed out. I can put more rocks in his tank but not sure what kind of plants? Again thank you all for talking to me, have a great weekend.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Where in the world are you ? (not wanting your street address or anything LOL...just a general idea to know your climate/temps right now).....:D

wildredpony

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Where in the world are you ? (not wanting your street address or anything LOL...just a general idea to know your climate/temps right now).....:D

Im in Colorado and it has been in the 90`s here. I have put some rocks in his house and I am looking into plants not sure what kind? He will be able to climb and dig around them.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
For shade: clumping grasses like Carex, Fescue. Shrubs like Rose of Sharon. Herbs like Rosemary, Rockrose, Thyme. If there is a shadier area, Hosta.
Most of these are fairly drought tolerant, but even drought tolerant plants need regular watering the first year or so to get established.

Here are some ideas for hides that will stay cooler in warm weather
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-70362.html

Status
Not open for further replies.