Baby sleeping too much??

margosha

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, OH
Hi all!

I'm still new to the forum, but I have posted a few threads and have received very helpful responses! So I'm hoping I can get more advice on another concern I have.

I got my baby RT about a month ago, and from the beginning, he has been sleeping a lot. I know that babies sleep a ton, but I'm not sure how much is too much.

He does have bursts of activity, but they're generally fairly short-lived, and after eating he will usually just pass out right there on his food rock... sometimes for the rest of the day. Most days he sleeps the majority of the day.

When I first got him, I was misinformed and I think I kept him too cold and dry :( But after consulting with his breeder and members on here, his temps and humidity are now correct. So is this sleeping behavior normal or should I concerned?

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Refresh our memory of the enclosure. Temps, humidity, size of enclosure, diet etc. how old he is and anything you can think of.
Babies do sleep a lot. Usually the way you are saying yours is acting. However, there should be a little more activity but they are all different.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
Refresh our memory of the enclosure. Temps, humidity, size of enclosure, diet etc. how old he is and anything you can think of.
Babies do sleep a lot. Usually the way you are saying yours is acting. However, there should be a little more activity but they are all different.

My temps are:
  • 87-90 basking area
  • 95-100 right under the bulb
  • Gradient down to about 75-77
  • Night temps low 70s
Humidity is 60-75% and he is in a 50 gal aquarium (just while he's a baby). I use the 10.0 Reptisun 18" tube light for UV.

He eats a variety of leafy greens. I favor endive and escarole, and add in carrot tops, turnip and beet greens, kale, watercress, a little spring mix and prickly pear cactus. I also try to add Mazuri but he doesn't seem to like it haha. Now that the weather is nicer, I'm also growing him some clover and broad leaf weeds.

I think he is under 6 months because he weighs only 28g.

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
26 grams sounds like a 2-month old tortoise. Our tortoise is a Greek tortoise and was 26 grams when we first got him last October. The seller (Tortoise Supply) said he hatched in mid August, so we got him at 2 months old. He slept nearly 20 hours of the day when we first got him, and was like that for pretty much two months of owning him. Nowadays he will be awake for 8 hours, so they will end up staying up longer as they get older.

margosha

Cleveland, OH

Oh my goodness what a cutie! Your picture of the first day home is about the size mine is now.

I do have to say, one perk of my baby sleeping a lot is seeing him sploot in the funniest positions :D

IMG_0019.jpg
IMG_7076.jpg

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
This is a bit old so I apologize. I have a baby who was that weight when we bought him home in November. He's up to 68 grams as of today and he still does the eat/sleep daily. There are a few longer stomp around times than when we first got him. He also likes to explore around early/mid afternoon when I'm at work so I didn't realize how busy he was. Hope that helps!!

margosha

Cleveland, OH
This is a bit old so I apologize. I have a baby who was that weight when we bought him home in November. He's up to 68 grams as of today and he still does the eat/sleep daily. There are a few longer stomp around times than when we first got him. He also likes to explore around early/mid afternoon when I'm at work so I didn't realize how busy he was. Hope that helps!!

Thanks for your response! It's good to hear from someone that also started out with one this small... I think that's a big part of my panic is that he just seems so fragile!

I actually have a nanny cam on him so I check in during work, and he does seem to be exploring a little more now that he's used to his surroundings. Also I love how you said "stomp around times"...that's such a perfect description, they really are so adorably stompy!

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I understand the fragile fear!! Clyde blew a snot bubble once and I was ready to run him to the animal hospital! He was fine but I freaked out. If you can get access to mazuri food I soak them in water until it's like runny oatmeal and mix well into his greens and he inhales it!! One I started feeling him the mazuri he started growing like a weed.

Clyde the day I got him:received_10214529983153008.jpeg

margosha

Cleveland, OH
I understand the fragile fear!! Clyde blew a snot bubble once and I was ready to run him to the animal hospital! He was fine but I freaked out. If you can get access to mazuri food I soak them in water until it's like runny oatmeal and mix well into his greens and he inhales it!! One I started feeling him the mazuri he started growing like a weed.

Clyde the day I got him:View attachment 238687

Such a cutie! I love that back-leg stretch!

Yeah, I originally got the mini Mazuri pellets since it was recommended for babies, but he wouldn’t touch them (even soaked). But I recently got the original pellets and now he loves Mazuri oatmeal... even plain!