Sleeping/hibernating

Sonny20222

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle
Hello,

I have a Russian tortoise roughly 18months old. The last few weeks he has been sleeping almost constantly. I think I’ve seen him awake only a handful of times over the past few weeks. He is eating and drinking a tiny bit. We have tried to wake him by taking him out of his bed and he vaguely opens his eyes then goes back to sleep again. When he’s asleep his head isn’t in his shell, it just kind of flops out. He looks to be shedding too. Any advice? Is this normal? Is he trying to hibernate?

Thanks

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
More information is needed to answer.
1. What lights and heating do you use?
2. What are the temperatures in the enclosure - in the basking zone, day and night ambient?
3. Size of the enclosure and what substrate?
4. His routines - bathing, diet and so on.

Photos of the enclosure and tortoise (shell, head, shedding areas) would be helpful as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,

I have a Russian tortoise roughly 18months old. The last few weeks he has been sleeping almost constantly. I think I’ve seen him awake only a handful of times over the past few weeks. He is eating and drinking a tiny bit. We have tried to wake him by taking him out of his bed and he vaguely opens his eyes then goes back to sleep again. When he’s asleep his head isn’t in his shell, it just kind of flops out. He looks to be shedding too. Any advice? Is this normal? Is he trying to hibernate?

Thanks
Give this a read through: