(Russian) Growth lines or should I be concerned?

nnnoahhhhhhh

Location (City and/or State)
Keizer, Oregon
Hi, I noticed quite a few lines all around my Russian’s lower scutes. I don’t know much about growth and was wondering if they looked concerning of if I am being paranoid? They don’t feel any “softer” than the rest of her shell, but they feel like significant ridges.

Also less related, the brownish spot on the top pf her front scute- is that bad?

I’m so sorry for not knowing more about her shell.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_7569.jpeg
    IMG_7569.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7571.jpeg
    IMG_7571.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7570.jpeg
    IMG_7570.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3

nnnoahhhhhhh

Keizer, Oregon
Read this. Thread 'The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...ise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/
Thank you! I read through and just purchased both the herbal hay and a seed pack from tortoisesupply.com. I do still have lighting questions because I keep seeing conflicting things (mostly with uvb). The photos are the bulbs I am currently using in a two bulb zoomed lamp. I am planning to exchange the 75wt for 100 as I think my basking spot could be a little hotter. I used to use 100wt, but was unable to find another suddenly when the bulb went out recently.

My biggest lighting question is about the uvb tube. I’ve heard the coil bulbs are bad for tortoise’s eyes, but how would the tube be better? I am willing to reconfigure lighting to maximize health of course but would like some direct guidance if possible. Please share any concerns with my current lights and again, thank you so much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Both those bulbs should not be used
The coil ones can cause eye problems. Because of the bends and the way they are hung, it concentrated too much towards the animal. That's the easiest I can explain it. The technical way someone else will have to do
It also gives off little UV. The spot light is too intense on the tortoise shell and will cause pyramiding
The tube fluorescent is safe because it doesn't have the bends and the incandescent flood bulb that should be used for basking is safe at correct distance. All bulbs can be bad if too close.

nnnoahhhhhhh

Keizer, Oregon
Both those bulbs should not be used
The coil ones can cause eye problems. Because of the bends and the way they are hung, it concentrated too much towards the animal. That's the easiest I can explain it. The technical way someone else will have to do
It also gives off little UV. The spot light is too intense on the tortoise shell and will cause pyramiding
The tube fluorescent is safe because it doesn't have the bends and the incandescent flood bulb that should be used for basking is safe at correct distance. All bulbs can be bad if too close.
Ok. I will work to replace them asap. Would it be possible to provide photos of the uva bulbs suggested? I think I know what uvb to look for.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok. I will work to replace them asap. Would it be possible to provide photos of the uva bulbs suggested? I think I know what uvb to look for.
Look up "Arcadia Pro T5 Kit" for the UV.

A regular incandescent flood bulb from the hard ware store will be good for basking.

Here is a breakdown of the four heating and lighting essentials:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. In most cases you'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night. Some people in colder climates or with larger enclosures will need multiple CHEs or RHPs to spread out enough heat.
  3. Ambient light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in LED bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In colder climates, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html A good UV bulb only needs to run for 2-3 hours mid day. You need the basking bulb and the ambient lighting to be on at least 12 hours a day.