Uneven growth lines

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
My adult WC Russian tortoise has a very uneven growth lines on her carapace. Between the bottom and second row of scutes there is no growth line at all on the left half and wide on the right half.
She came to me with the old healed wounds that ran along that growth line in a U-shape fully halfway around the back half of her. She has had shell issue previously and the vet thinks it all is related to the old injury, says it looks like she was stepped on and crushed from above. Of course we are just guessing. She also has had an even growth lines but not as severe as this and not throughout an entire half of the shell. I am trying to get a picture of it but it is difficult. I will keep trying but in the meantime does anybody have any ideas what I can do about it? I have been puttingEVCO on her about once a month or so for the last four months.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hard to say without seeing it.
OK, I think the shows it the best. The coloring makes it look less drastic than it actually is if you feel it. Top view, right side, left side. Let me know if these are good enough or if you need other angles.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438568391.183288.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438568414.245653.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438568429.161537.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see what you are talking about. I don't have a solution though. I know you keep the tortoise right, so its not a husbandry issue.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I see what you are talking about. I don't have a solution though. I know you keep the tortoise right, so its not a husbandry issue.
Yeah, I don't know what to do about it either. I am very worried what will happen if it keeps going like this. The flaring has actually decreased a little bit. It happened a year or two ago in literally a month. How do you get a scute unstuck?