Russian tortoise shell growth uneven?

k.mura

Location (City and/or State)
Shakopee
I have a ~15 year old Russian tortoise that I have had for about 5 years. I went to the vet concerned about some things including her shell growth. They did blood tests as well and the results came back perfectly healthy, and my vet told me not to be worried about the growth because it just seemed like normal and new growth. But I still have worries, some of the scutes are becoming tilted and when I touch the new lines forming she flinches if I use my nail. This new growth has started forming around the spring, and unfortunately she has always been small for her species. But I'm super worried that I'm doing something wrong, in fact, i made this account to make a post!!20201109_090108.jpg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
You are right there is a deformation, however the shell does not look unhealthy. Im sure you have noticed but there is a scute missing, on the right side of your tort there are only 3 major scutes and there should be 4. This assymetry is the reason for the shell growing in an odd way most likely. As I found out with mine, they go through some random growth spurts where they can add a lot of new shell in a short period. As long as there are no soft spots or evidence of scutes detaching etc. . . I dont think you have anything to be concerned with. Certainly some more experienced owners will be along soon though.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
@Yvonne G @Tom you both know your russians here, Im pretty sure this is nothing to worry about but could one of you chime in for the sake of the OP, I have no experience with either RTs, or ever seeing a deformation like this in person

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sometimes they grow a little funny, but I don't have conclusive evidence for why in every case. Who knows what this tortoise's history was before you got it. It was very like kept in overly dry conditions with the wrong bulbs.

The good news is that new growth means the tortoise is healthy and doing well.

New growth is sensitive, so I would NOT stick your thumbnail in there any more. OUCH!

Here is the current and correct housing info. Read this and see if you need to make changes in diet, housing, substrate, hydration, temperatures, etc...