Russian Enclosures, under construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
I made 2 of these. One for each of my RT's. They have to be kept separate.

Approximately 3' X 5'. 16.5" Deep. ( a little over-kill on the depth).

I used Red Cedar fence slats, 6" X 6' nominal, because Cedar weathers and holds up very well in Northern Utah climate. And, it looks nice.

289jt36.jpg

oil4.jpg

19v9ti.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Looks pretty good, Lynn. That's a nesting portion, up the ramp, huh?

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Looks pretty good, Lynn. That's a nesting portion, up the ramp, huh?
No. Not for nesting; just burrowing. I still have to get some plants in here for them. That is Sphagnum Peat Moss, so maybe it will be a garden.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You could definitely seed the tray; how about seeding a total of 4-6 trays and rotating them as they get chowed down?

They look really nice!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Lynn, you have the most perfect looking Russians...they are absolutely beautiful....I love the space you shoe here and yes the plants will make it ideal...and high sides + Russians= no overkill on height...lol and the idea of seeding a few trays to rotate out is a grand idea...:D

Keep the pics coming of your beautiful Russians....you could send me some each day and I would not get tired of seeing them...just beautiful...:D

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
image-2168250685.png

I feel like our Russians facial makeup looks very similar! Very nice new space you made for it (or I believe them?). Your Russian looks so tiny in that large area. Is it always outside?

Blake m said:
I feel like our Russians facial makeup looks very similar! Very nice new space you made for it (or I believe them?). Your Russian looks so tiny in that large area. Is it always outside?

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
I just stumbled upon a local person on Craigslist who makes raised bed boxes for planting. They look like they'd make great tort enclosures too. I may contact him and see what he can make for us. But I change my mind about every other day on how I want their garden to look.

Here's a pic

7082576407_4fea4dc6e6_n.jpg

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Blake m said:
View attachment 19875

Blake m said:

Blake, I also have a female 8". They are kept in their own separate enclosure.
I bring them in every night.

Tyrtle said:
I just stumbled upon a local person on Craigslist who makes raised bed boxes for planting. They look like they'd make great tort enclosures too. I may contact him and see what he can make for us. But I change my mind about every other day on how I want their garden to look.

Here's a pic

They are a whole bunch cheaper if you build your own. It cost me about $50 to build 2 of these. No bottom. Sitting on concrete. Only takes a couple hours to build them.

ascott said:
Lynn, you have the most perfect looking Russians...they are absolutely beautiful....I love the space you shoe here and yes the plants will make it ideal...and high sides + Russians= no overkill on height...lol and the idea of seeding a few trays to rotate out is a grand idea...:D

Keep the pics coming of your beautiful Russians....you could send me some each day and I would not get tired of seeing them...just beautiful...:D

Thank You Angela.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Tyrtle said:

Here's a pic

Lynn is right, it is cheaper to make your own. But, if you can't, that raised bed looks good, depending on size. The main thing is you want good drainage if it is outside. So if they could make it (less $) w/o the bottom, or you would have to drill a lot of holes...

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
lynnedit said:
Tyrtle said:

Here's a pic

Lynn is right, it is cheaper to make your own. But, if you can't, that raised bed looks good, depending on size. The main thing is you want good drainage if it is outside. So if they could make it (less $) w/o the bottom, or you would have to drill a lot of holes...

Sadly, I'm just not that handy. If I do acquire one, I would definitely have it made without a bottom and maybe make me a frame with wire top.

Status
Not open for further replies.