Outside tort box ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadance

5 Year Member
I will be making an outside home for my RT's it has to be on our deck (we have a lab so we don't want her to be able to get by the RT's house. So I was thinking of doing a 5' x 6' box with 2 hiding spots on each end for shade with a place to put a wall in the middle if I need to separate them. Also there would be lids on the whole box with latches to prevent anything from getting my torts. Do you guys have ideas to make it a good home for them that they will like? Or any plan ideas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Out tort box ideas...

It sounds like you're moving in the right direction, Cadance. Just add a water dish, a feeding tile or stone and some plantings for visual barriers. Make sure you place it someplace where the sun will hit it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

If you have the room, I'd go bigger. If you are using plywood and lumber it will be easier. I prefer to put them on the ground, as opposed to a deck. More stable temps on the ground, especially in the hot summer. Here's a simple idea that will be totally dog and critter proof plus expandable or portable too.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ut-Safe-Outdoor-Baby-Enclosures#axzz1pOGTicES

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado

Tom, thanks for sharing the links to your outdoor enclosure. I want to do something like that too, but on a smaller scale just for daytime outings in the summer. I have some leftover bricks from another project and that would be perfect to build the frame with chicken wire on top. Smart! I totally bookmarked that page.

Cadance

5 Year Member
Thanks for the information. My dog is quite smart at being able to get into closed things that is why I was going to put them up on the deck. They would get lost of sun up there and I would make sure to have things for them to hide in to get away from the heat if needed. But I will look at get maybe a dog run or something to put around the torts area or something like that to keep the dog out.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Many people actually take the dog run and make it into a very nice and safe enclosure. If you go that way, I suggest getting one of the tall runs, so you can stand up inside of it (if you get a covered one), makes it much easier and nicer to work inside of it when you can stand rather then bend all the time.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Cadance, your ideas are good. I think once you get started on the project, more ideas will pop into your head. You may even get it setup and decide on some other changes. Regardless, I am sure it is going to look great and your torts are going to love you even more for it. They all love to be outside, so live Yvonne said, "You are headed in the right direction"...:)

Best of luck to you..and we want to see pictures when it is finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.