Roses

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scooter

I have two rose bushes that I pick leaves and flower petals from for my torts and iguana. Some of the leaves have started to turn yellow. The flower shop of course told me to fertilize them but since I am using them for food that is out. Anyone have any suggestions of what I can do?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
When my leaves turn yellow it's usually and iron issue. You can add some iron - just hose it in well if the tortoises can get near the base. (I have also found my rose leaves yellow when I'm not watering enough as well.) Good luck!

S

Scooter

Thanks Kimber! I think it might be the watering, I don't think I water them enough but I worry about over watering them. I am not very good with roses but am trying.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Usually if it's not just the normal death of the bottom leaves, if indicates some kind of stress. A lot will depend where on the bush are the yellow leaves, did they do any color change before turning yellow, ect..,Could be the iron, could be overwatering, underwatering, not enough light, too thick a bush (too many old canes not thinned out), disease, just lots of possible causes.

When you water are you watering it deeply, not just a light watering? Normally I think it's recommended to water about 2x a week. Don't forget to try not to get the leaves wet, water the roots.

RandomWiktor

5 Year Member
Alabama
Have you tried any "natural" fertilizers? Old fish tank water, herbivore dung, etc. seems to really help when I have plants that are otherwise well cared for (ie. watering schedule, lighting, etc.) but are still failing a bit.

S

Scooter

I have not tried any fertilizers but I am starting to look into them. All the fish tanks we have turtles in them so I don't think that would be good. Right? I trying to figure out what I can fertilize with and still feed the leaves and petals to the torts.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
Epsom salt help green up plants with magnesiu, and other defficiencies. Epsoma brands of fertilizer that go by the names of Holly Tone, Rose Tone, and the like are usually organic and perform very well.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Worm Castings are good. My son's basketball coache's wife sells them so I buy them from her. It is a fasinating operation she has.

S

Scooter

Worm casting? As in the shells they leave behind after molting?

Status
Not open for further replies.