Baby RedFoot Tort and Hibiscus Flower

Status
Not open for further replies.

feline8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MD
I fed my 5-6 month old 3" red footed tortoise 1 hibiscus flower today (just the flower, no leaves), and nothing else. She only finished the 4 flower petals, so all that's remaining is 1 petal and the middle part. Do you think this is the normal amount that a baby red footed tortoise should consume? Or am I under/over-feeding?

Can anyone help me with this quick question?

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It is a good amount! Mine loves hibiscus! He only eats one or two pedals, that is great that she is eating so good! Is she coming out to eat by herself? Mine doesnt come out to eat by himself yet but I have only had him for about 5 days.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I keep mine in the same tub as my spring mix, It keeps it really fresh!

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
mattgrizzlybear said:
It is a good amount! Mine loves hibiscus! He only eats one or two pedals, that is great that she is eating so good! Is she coming out to eat by herself? Mine doesnt come out to eat by himself yet but I have only had him for about 5 days.

My Tangelo knows when it's feeding time now! I've had her for more than a month. At approximately 3 pm, when I get home from school, she is sitting by her feeding dish waiting to be fed.

mattgrizzlybear said:
I keep mine in the same tub as my spring mix, It keeps it really fresh!

I recently discovered a huge 8 foot hibiscus flower bush outside my house, I'm thinking there's approx. 200 flowers or more on that :D

Thanks for the help Matt and Drew! I'm glad that Tangelo is eating normally :)

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Mine will eat it non stop! Sometimes it thinks my skin is a petal and try to eat me n not the lettuce I'm holding lol

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
Q said:
Mine will eat it non stop! Sometimes it thinks my skin is a petal and try to eat me n not the lettuce I'm holding lol

Yeah! When I hold my tortoise carefully, she is calm but she tires to skin me alive! For a little tortoise, her beak is super sharp when she chomps on my fingers. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.