Right Habitat for my Redfoot, please help

Frodo4eva

Good morning everyone!
I have a red footed tortoise affectionately named Oscar that I have had for 10 years. Pictures attached. He is almost 6 inches long (shell to shell) and does have signs of pyramiding but not so severe. Anyway, I regrettably have not been properly keeping him in the right habitat, I just bought a ZooMed wooden home but fear that it now may be too small for his size, is this true?
I live in South Florida so the climate etc is ideal but did not keep him outside because there are a variety of animals that can kill him (cats, possum, raccoons, even hawks). I can put him outside in my covered and enclosed patio (screened) but he will not always get direct sunlight.
I would appreciate any and all suggestions, Oscar is a dear member of the family and want to make sure he has everything he needs and can rehab fully. He has a healthy diet of greens and fruit and occasionally sprinkle reptivite for vitamins.
Oh, and second, he appears to have something wrong with his lower jaw, it is slightly shifted to one side and not sure how this happened - picture also attached.
Thanks so much for your support!

IMG_5496.JPG Oscar jaw.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Oscar would benefit greatly from having a more humid and moist environment. He's very dry. If it were my tortoise, I would build him a nice, big enclosure on the enclosed patio, on the sunniest part of the patio. Then, because screen filters out quite a bit of the beneficial UV rays, I would hang a UVB bulb from the ceiling so it hangs over the most popular spot where the tortoise seems to park most often, about 12" from the top of his carapace.

To this habitat, I would then add about 4 or 5 inches of substrate. My first choice is orchid bark, but I also like cypress mulch. Others on the forum also use coco coir, and you can even add top soil from your yard. Keep this moist, but not wet.

Plant a few nice plants around the habitat. You can decorate it to your heart's content. There are many edible plants that would go well in that type of situation. Make him a nice waterer out of a plant saucer that's big enough that he can get his whole body into it.

Here's a nice example of a RF tort table. It was made for indoors, but would also go quite well on the patio:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/heres-dales-new-enclosure-picture-heavy.11023/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
oh, I forgot to address the beak issue.

I have had a bit of experience with this problem. I'm not saying my problem was caused by the same thing as yours, but it's one thing to look at. If you don't give your tortoise enough calcium-rich foods, or supplement with calcium, and ALSO include the vitamin d3 they get from either the sun or a GOOD UVB light, they sometimes grow poorly formed or situated beaks. (and weak bones)

Last edited:

Frodo4eva

Hi Yvonne -
Thanks a million - you've been very helpful. I admit that I have not been so up to date of the best care and I would think by now Oscar would be much bigger after having him 10 years. Nevertheless he's a happy little guy, always comes to you, very sociable. I do give him exercise, letting him walk outside in the sun and also all over my house :).
The other issue I seem to notice is that when he walks his back legs are not always fully upright which is concerning. But I would attribute this to the issues you mentioned in your post. I was thinking of bringing him to a vet to have checked anyway, couldnt hurt.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
The slope of his shell in the first picture along with the jaw deformity looks like metabolic bone disease to me. How much natural sunlight (not filtered by glass or a screen) does he get every week? What's his diet like? Calcium plus UVb rays are required for healthy development. You live in a good climate to provide this guy what he needs though. More humidity is definitely in order, but so is sunlight (or a good UVb bulb) and calcium. Photos of your current enclosures will help people provide you with the best advice possible.

Do you have other photos of his face? It may just be the angle, but his eyes look a little to me.

Frodo4eva

Hi Sarah - Yes, I thought so as well but am still not sure - I will try to see a vet this week for a check up. here are additional pictures of him eating. He does not get a huge amount of normal sunlight apart from the times I bring hm outside to enjoy the sun a little. He eats primarily greens (romaine and spring mix) as well as strawberry (he loves). I utilize a standard UVB basking lamp and have him currently in a 20 gallon aquarium (i know I know) which is why I am taking all the steps to make him the proper enclosure and put him outside as I suggested above. However he cannot be completely outside because I fear other animals may hurt or kill him.
I don't know about a slope on his shell, could just be the angle I took the picture at, the jaw was only just recent I started noticing this. However I will now be providing him the proper habitat he needs, humidity, etc which I hope will help. This forum and all of you are super helpful.

Attachments

• Oscar.JPG
    Oscar.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 65
  • Oscar2.JPG
    Oscar2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 62

Frodo4eva

HI Sarah - Thank you. I do give him on occasion Reptivite as a supplment but will look at your suggestions as well and provide more variety to his diet.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum, @Frodo4eva . I'm glad you joined and are on the path to better care for your tort. Let us know how the vet visit goes. There are lots of wonderful people and resources on this site.

Frodo4eva

Hi Guys - just a quick update, attached is the new home I built for Oscar, still have to fill it now but the main phase is completed :). I still have to take him to the vet though so I will further update when that happens. Hopefully he can get not he road to getting better but he is always in good spirits!

Attachments

• Crate.JPG
    Crate.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5580.JPG
    IMG_5580.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5581.JPG
    IMG_5581.JPG
    556.4 KB · Views: 39

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you build a cove with a lock and chicken wire top you can move it out in the yard in a shady spot .

Frodo4eva

If you build a cove with a lock and chicken wire top you can move it out in the yard in a shady spot .
I did think about that but I don't want it too far away. I may put it on the other side of the screen outside. Gets sun in the morning and then shade in the afternoon. But then here in Florida when it rains it rains, it might get flooded good.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
South Florida here too.
PM or Email me and I'll help you set up a very inexpensive covered or open outside pen. I use both
[email protected]

Attachments

• 20151119_152722.jpg
    20151119_152722.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 20151024_104334-2.jpg
    20151024_104334-2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 20150817_175550.jpg
    20150817_175550.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 32
  • 20150220_175607.jpg
    20150220_175607.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 32
  • 20150515_151819.jpg
    20150515_151819.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 32

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you want something simple like this. I can tell you what you'll need and where to get it.:)
In the meantime I would suggest your covered patio with it's indirect sunlight would be better than being indoors. As Yvonne mentioned with other great tips.
It's still warm enough and quite humid.
Make sure that he has a shallow tray to soak in out there.

Last edited:

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
What I wouldn't give to be able to have my RF's outside right now. I strongly suggest you take up Zero on his offer, he knows what he is talking about. It looks like your little guy needs all the help he can get.

Frodo4eva

I am almost complete with his new home and hope to have him outside before the weekend.

I took Oscar to the vet and he did confirm that he has a few issues but attributed most of this to malnourishment related to improper light or lack thereof (UVB). Oscar had also what looked like a little mouth rot and his eyes were a little infected it looked so he swabbed them. He also gave me two antibiotics to give Oscar, one was a de-wormer and I believe the other was for any possible parasites. He said overall that Oscar was very lively and energetic, and was pleased to hear his diet was good, he has seen worse cases. The vet also said that unfortunately the shell or other bone related issues will not reverse but with the proper care moving forward he should be more than fine.

Out of curiosity what does one do with your tortoise when the temp is below 70 or humidity is not at high enough (such as the winter months here in Florida), this being for an outside tortoise....

Thanks again.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
South Florida here too.
PM or Email me and I'll help you set up a very inexpensive covered or open outside pen. I use both
[email protected]
I just realized that Big Bertha is not only stunning but unique and I am able to spot her without realizing that she was your tortoise!!! On the forum app and sliding through pics I said to myself is that Big Bertha?? It's crazy how they look alike but so different and unique!