Retaining humidity for hatchling

Shaka8411

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta
Hi All,

My wife picked up a beautiful hatchling at an expo somewhat impulsively. This is our setup, which I'm sure is insufficient for one so young. Ambient humidity sits at about 61%. Substrate is coco fiber (eco earth). Any advice for a new but enthusiastic owner is much appreciated! Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20240416_111547_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240416_111547_HDR.jpg
    1,019.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240416_111044_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240416_111044_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Here is some info for newbies:

What species is your hatchling so we can give you more specific advice?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Also here are the specs of the enclosure we would like to know:
  • Dimensions
  • Is it a closed chamber?
  • Temperature (hot side, cool side, ambient, main hide)
  • Humidity (hot side, cool side, ambient, main hide)
  • Does she have a waterdish to soak in?
  • What do you use for heat?
  • What do you use for UV?

Shaka8411

Atlanta
Here is some info for newbies:

What species is your hatchling so we can give you more specific advice?
Hello! I assume Eastern but it's hard for me to say. Thank you for sharing--best information I've seen yet, and your fast response is much appreciated.

Also here are the specs of the enclosure we would like to know:
  • Dimensions
  • Is it a closed chamber?
  • Temperature (hot side, cool side, ambient, main hide)
  • Humidity (hot side, cool side, ambient, main hide)
  • Does she have a waterdish to soak in?
  • What do you use for heat?
  • What do you use for UV?
1. L 66.04 cm (26 in) W 43.82 cm (17.25 in) H 25.4 cm (10 in)
2. No, an open top plastic storage bin from a hardware store
3. Hot: 85 F Cold: 75 F Ambient: 75 F Main hide (which I haven't seen used): 75 F
4. Humidity seem quickly up and down throughout, ranging 50-60 % in each location
5. Yes, a china dish, which I'll replace with a terracotta saucer. I haven't seen her soak herself but I have placed her there and observed before removing after some minutes daily
6. Heat is from a 75 W ReptiBasking Spot lamp mounted 43.2 cm off surface, though was closer before--I gather I should get a flood.
7. 13 W Reptisun 10.0 UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp

She is about 7 cm shell length and we bought her April 13.

I think I'll start by getting fine grade orchid bark or cypress mulch, a flood bulb, and a greenhouse top sheet--but eagerly await your feedback!

Also, what causes, and how to avoid compaction? I'm concerned about the finer bits of coco fiber.

I'll also reach out to the seller to ask how he had kept the hatchling to determine whether she had a good or bad start.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_20240416_120845_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240416_120845_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. You've been sold the usual incorrect pet store lights, and both of those can do harm to your tortoise. The heating and lighting info is toward the bottom of the thread that was linked for you, and here is more specific info:

Coco coir is an excellent substrate for all baby Testudo. Keep it damp and hand pack it firmly to keep the mess down. It does not cause impaction.

Be aware that almost everything you find while doing "research" is going to be wrong old info. YT and FB are some of the worse, but even vet, breeders, and reptile "experts" have all learned their wrong info from the same wrong sources that you are finding. I learned that stuff too many years ago, and that is how I know how wrong it is. You NOW have the correct info, and questions are welcome.

Shaka8411

Atlanta
Hello and welcome. You've been sold the usual incorrect pet store lights, and both of those can do harm to your tortoise. The heating and lighting info is toward the bottom of the thread that was linked for you, and here is more specific info:

Coco coir is an excellent substrate for all baby Testudo. Keep it damp and hand pack it firmly to keep the mess down. It does not cause impaction.

Be aware that almost everything you find while doing "research" is going to be wrong old info. YT and FB are some of the worse, but even vet, breeders, and reptile "experts" have all learned their wrong info from the same wrong sources that you are finding. I learned that stuff too many years ago, and that is how I know how wrong it is. You NOW have the correct info, and questions are welcome.
Thanks Tom. I tried a 65 W flood bulb and couldn't get heat from it--do you recommend any specific brand or model for that, and UV?

I draped a wet towel over most of the enclosure and that has humidity up to 75% under there, but now a temperature of about 75--do you have any advice on how to get temperature up in there, or not needed?

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom. I tried a 65 W flood bulb and couldn't get heat from it--do you recommend any specific brand or model for that, and UV?

I draped a wet towel over most of the enclosure and that has humidity up to 75% under there, but now a temperature of about 75--do you have any advice on how to get temperature up in there, or not needed?

Thanks!
You didn't use a 65 watt bulb and get no heat. You used a "65 watt replacement" LED type bulb. You need a regular incandescent flood bulb, not an LED. Ambient heat comes from the CHE set on a thermostat. Basking heat comes from the incandescent flood bulb. Regular incandescent round bulbs can work too if used in an aluminum hooded fixture that directs the heat downward.

All the care info for what to use and how to set it all up is in the care sheets.

Shaka8411

Atlanta
You didn't use a 65 watt bulb and get no heat. You used a "65 watt replacement" LED type bulb. You need a regular incandescent flood bulb, not an LED. Ambient heat comes from the CHE set on a thermostat. Basking heat comes from the incandescent flood bulb. Regular incandescent round bulbs can work too if used in an aluminum hooded fixture that directs the heat downward.

All the care info for what to use and how to set it all up is in the care sheets.
Dead on. Thanks again--off to a good start now

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dead on. Thanks again--off to a good start now
Your welcome. Feel free to ask all your questions. We are all here to talk tortoises. We will help you sort through all the madness.

RobertFlak

5 Year Member
I find coco coir tends to dry out and get dusty (even if mixed with top soil). For a baby tortoise I strongly recommend you layer down some cypress mulch. Can buy at home depot for about $7 a bag or $32 for a bag from PetSmart "Forest Floor".
Cypress mulch doesn't smell and it retains moisture well.