Creating a hatchling habitat

Cymmie

5 Year Member
There are some seeds I have been growing that are fairly low growing in other words they only grow a couple inches to three inches at most and are quite thick, providing lots of grazing material. One I buy at health food stores around me, Chia seeds they sprout like crazy with just a little soil and some regular misting. Watercress seeds are slower growers and I think they grow a little taller not sure they are still in beginning stages with me. I also bought some white clover at home depot, they are growing great and come in a huge container which only cost 7 dollars. Though it takes about a handful of seeds to make a good carpet in a small pot saucer. They grow about as fast as the chia seeds which started growing in about three or four days.

I also have various flowers I am growing from seedlings and have transplanted from fertilized soil to organic.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I like your table plans. And yes that picture was awful! So crowded and looked like it was about to collapse! BUT it gave me a great idea of how you want to design the table. I think its great :)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Thanks!

I think that it will be a good way for me to simulate being outdoors as much as possible. :) And since its 2 levels, I can give him more space than with a regular setup, without taking up half my living room. :D I'd like to plant a broadleaf mix with a few flowers and maybe a Bonsai on top...a little mini "outdoor" area, like a field or meadow. The chamber area I have been toying with the idea of making more forest-like.

As a baby he will only have access to the bottom, but can have "playtime" on the top when we're home. As he gets bigger he can move freely through both. We'll treat each level as a separate enclosure and have hot/cool ends on each.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
It seems like it would be good to consider making the several month enclosure fit the needs of the tortoise, than fit the tortoise's needs to that low box.

You will not see the tortoise accept from above when the lid is off. With the side that low, even the slightest humidity will fog the plastic.

The chimney effect of overhead heating descibed in other posts will make such a low air volume in that shallow tray so dynamic, it will be difficult to maintain a uniform and consistent micro climate.

If it really is for just a few months, maybe waiting for the built enclosure from you plans would be best. Just a few months, yeah? That's not to long to wait for the more ideal enclosure.

Hermann's are always available.

Will

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
We'll be setting up the light soon, and I can start monitoring temps. We'll see how that goes I guess. Humidity has been holding well though so far. Starts at about 85 in the morning after misting, drops down to 70-75 in a 24 hour period. Lights will change that, but I'll keep monitoring it.

As far as seeing him, its on eye level right behind my couch, and I can see fairly well through it. It's just opaque enough that I don't think he'll constantly be trying to walk through it.

I will keep an eye on everything though, and switch if I can't keep it stable.

Out of curiosity, why is everyone upset about this box? The under the bed style boxes are ones I've seen suggested repeatedly, and another member on here has a box nearly identical to mine, but with none of these comments. Is it something I'm doing as a tort keeper? I just want what's best for my little one and all this conflicting information is making my head spin. :(

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Hmm, not sure about the comments. I started out my first 2 redfoot hatchlings in the same bin, but didn't know to watch for humidity (wish I had known)...they both have mild pyramiding....all the rest of mine are smooth.

Since you're aware about the humidity levels, I don't see the bin being a bad place to start, I think you'll be fine. You seem to know what's important, and you're coming here to learn as much as you can.

Sorry, I have no advice on what to plant.

Good luck with everything. You're doing a great job, and you're going to make a great tortoise owner!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Upset about the box?

1) It's easier to start on an optimal path, than change a poor course already started. How many times will you bargain with yourself that that box is OK, and wait on the planned, later built, full enclosure?

2) The lid will mean the neonate is without a 'view' accept when directly under 'full sun'.

Put yourself in a room with a choice of dark low ceiling, or full bright light.

Your time frame for this set-up is months (half a year?) before the more permeant one. This communicates an eagerness to have the pet, whilst being unprepared.

Those under-bed boxes work well for hatchling aquatics and semi aquatics where the lid is not in use at all, or the substrate is floating plants, real or plastic, maybe Ok for hatchling box turtle with lots of very shallow water, and lid off. The design you show emulates a cave with a sunny portal.

I have cat too, if mine walked on or sat on that lid it would fall/smash in. Why not just wait for that more optimal enclosure?

I guess in a way, we all want everyone to be successful with their pets, without going into painful detail about what has been found to be ineffective. This has all happened before, and will again.

That's why the concern about that set-up. It is a short term poor yield set-up for a tortoises. Maybe you somehow inspire the " you can do better than that" from those who offer alternate ideas.

Will

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Re: RE: Creating a hatchling habitat

Will said:
Upset about the box?

1) It's easier to start on an optimal path, than change a poor course already started. How many times will you bargain with yourself that that box is OK, and wait on the planned, later built, full enclosure?

2) The lid will mean the neonate is without a 'view' accept when directly under 'full sun'.

Put yourself in a room with a choice of dark low ceiling, or full bright light.

Your time frame for this set-up is months (half a year?) before the more permeant one. This communicates an eagerness to have the pet, whilst being unprepared.

Those under-bed boxes work well for hatchling aquatics and semi aquatics where the lid is not in use at all, or the substrate is floating plants, real or plastic, maybe Ok for hatchling box turtle with lots of very shallow water, and lid off. The design you show emulates a cave with a sunny portal.

I have cat too, if mine walked on or sat on that lid it would fall/smash in. Why not just wait for that more optimal enclosure?

I guess in a way, we all want everyone to be successful with their pets, without going into painful detail about what has been found to be ineffective. This has all happened before, and will again.

That's why the concern about that set-up. It is a short term poor yield set-up for a tortoises. Maybe you somehow inspire the " you can do better than that" from those who offer alternate ideas.

Will

The box is hopefully only until Christmasish. February-March at the very latest. My mom and stepdad live 4 hours away and so it depends on when they can come up my way with their truck/trailer and when he can build it.

The lid is secure. My cats have sat on it already and it's been fine. And, after a couple rounds with the squirt bottle, they don't seem too inclined to be on it anymore.

As far as the low ceiling bit, in the wild, hatchlings often have burrows, low shrubs, etc. that they hide in. If anything I think they'd feel more secure.

I also don't think I am conveying being unprepared. I set my enclosure up two months in advance to monitor temps and humidity. I have put in over a hundred hours of research. I am getting my tort from a reliable source, and asking questions. Hermanns may always be available, but this is the best time for me to get one. Our winters are brutal with 40 below temps and high force winds, so shipping then isn't an option. Springtime and summer is when I will be panicking over planning and pulling off my quickly approaching wedding. Now is the very best time to devote myself to my hatchlings care, and learning everything I can.

I have seen a few successful similar setups that have produced some beautiful torts. Provided I can keep temperature and humidity stable, which I will find out once I get my light, I am confident I can do the same. If stability IS an issue, I will switch, BEFORE my tort arrives. Whatever it takes.

That all being said...Chris and I just had a conversation over the phone. Unfortunately, one of his incubators failed, and it was the one with the Hermanns eggs. :( BUT he has a few holdbacks he was going to keep for himself that he has decided to part with (what a gentleman!)...they are between 3-9 months old. Still babies but not quite as fragile as the 3-4 week old I was going to get. So, in a way, this is good news, I suppose. I'll keep you all posted on who I pick out. :)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I picked out my hatchling! :D This is one of the 3 month olds. He is missing his 4th vertebral scute, but I don't mind. It makes him unique. :) Chris is graciously holding onto him until we can get the rest of our supplies (we're still missing stuff,since we were preparing for the hatchlings in 1.5 months).

Meet Littlefoot! :D

Attachments

• 1381940893884.jpg
    1381940893884.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 1381940911450.jpg
    1381940911450.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 54

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Re: RE: Creating a hatchling habitat

sunshine_hugs said:
Congrats! Littlefoot is such a cutie! I'm sure you're excited to get him home.

Thank you! :D And yes, very!

I'm picking up a hide and Powersun bulb at work today (Petco), and we're going to Home Depot tomorrow for the other things we need. I even discovered my checking account had 40 dollars more than I thought it did! Talk about a good day and happy coincidence...more tort money! Haha.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
So I got the rest of the supplies I needed and everything set up (pics soon)...light has been running about an hour and a half. Temps/humidity so far:

Basking: varies from 95.8-101.3 depending on where it is...50% humidity on the rock, but 78% on that end.

Middle: 81.5, 76%

Cool: 79.1, 82% (I dont think it would normally be that high, but my fiance just spilled the water dish a couple hours ago, so the substrate is pretty damp over there.)

For reference, our basic room temp is 76 currently...the living room has high humidity as well thanks to the open topped 75 gallon tank. About 55-60%.

I think I might raise the lamp just an inch or two...but what do you guys think of temps?

Pics! It looks darker than it is, my phones being dumb. :p

1382051076198.jpg
1382051073649.jpg
1382051089034.jpg
1382051117731.jpg

"Mom, are you sure that nice warm spot isn't for meeee?"

Attachments

• 1382051242803.jpg
    1382051242803.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by a moderator:

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Are those values all with the lid on?
I think your numbers are perfect, I wouldn't change a thing!!! ROCK STAR!!!

Questions/recommendations (You've done your homework, I'm guessing you already know all this but I'm a vet tech, and it's my job and I'm pre programmed to go over everything...so I apologize if you already knew this....)

When is Chris sending your baby? (Cuz I'm so excited to see pix, watch him grow...)
Soak him 20-30 minutes the minute he arrives!
Place in enclosure with food and leave him alone for a day, as hard as it is. Just walk away.
He needs to adjust to new home, not new home AND big scary human that smells weird.

[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

OH MY DOG! I'm so freaking excited!!

[GROWING HEART][TURTLE][GROWING HEART][TURTLE][GROWING HEART][TURTLE][GROWING HEART][TURTLE]

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Yay! I did raise it like 2 inches. Everything got about 5 degrees hotter about 2 hours after that post, now its a bit closer to those again. Basking was about 100.5, warm at 83. And, yes, with the lid. :)

Thanks for the tip...I knew to soak him, but was wondering if I should feed him.

I think that he is coming on Tuesday! I'm emailing Chris today to figure out the details. I'm super excited too! :D

Question...the pansies I planted were from Lowe's. I thouroughly rinsed the plant itself and rinsed off and removed 95% of the dirt on their roots (made sure there were NO white bits). Will it be ok for Littlefoot to nibble?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Yep, that will be ok since you rinsed them.
I also forgot to recommend you go buy a kitchen gram scale (if you don't already have one) and weight him regularly to monitor his growth.

I weighed my two Sulcata babies before and after their soak, and they each gained a 10th of a gram.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Awesome. Thanks!

Scale is in the plans, but we might not be able to get one until next Friday (payday).

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Oh for cute! It will be so fun to track your little ones growth. :)

I'm making a baby book for Littlefoot...we'll record growth, trace him, include favorite foods, and of course, lots of pictures. This way when I have kids, they can see his journey...especially since he might be theirs someday. :)