Set up and substrate for baby Hermann?

WesternHermann59

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spring, Texas
1FF772FD-A678-40C1-A989-01A2CD12E8FA.jpeg1FF772FD-A678-40C1-A989-01A2CD12E8FA.jpeg

We have had our 6 month baby Hermann for a few days. He is in a Zoo Med Tortoise House with Zoo Med Eco Earth loose coconut fiber + “Repti Bark” + terrarium moss in his hide. Is this ok? I was worried about the Repti Bark and included it to create more humidity. Including photo of our set up. (We use the repti dish for soaking only and then remove it)

Thank you!

pikkos

cy
View attachment 250979

We have had our 6 month baby Hermann for a few days. He is in a Zoo Med Tortoise House with Zoo Med Eco Earth loose coconut fiber + “Repti Bark” + terrarium moss in his hide. Is this ok? I was worried about the Repti Bark and included it to create more humidity. Including photo of our set up. (We use the repti dish for soaking only and then remove it)

Thank you!
The water bowl is toooo tall I think never can drink from here...but don't worry if you soak him can hydrated from that

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
I'd add some more hides! The substrate looks a little dry too.

Also, it might be hard to keep up humidity with your "Tortoise House". I'm assuming the top is open?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The water bowl should definitely be changed to a terra cotta saucer. The one you have now is a huge flipping hazard.

Your baby is so cute!

WesternHermann59

5 Year Member
Spring, Texas

Also, it might be hard to keep up humidity with your "Tortoise House". I'm assuming the top is open?
Yes, the lid is open on one side. The humidity on the covered side is better but our tort doesn’t like to hang out there. I’ve been misting as much as possible when I’m home...

WesternHermann59

5 Year Member
Spring, Texas
The water bowl should definitely be changed to a terra cotta saucer. The one you have now is a huge flipping hazard.

Your baby is so cute!
Thank you! We love our littlest addition. We removed the large water bowl completely. We were using it for soaks anyway but he knew how to crawl out.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thank you! We love our littlest addition. We removed the large water bowl completely. We were using it for soaks anyway but he knew how to crawl out.

Just keep in mind that you still need a water bowl, and you need to be doing daily 15-40 minute soaks in a container he can’t get out of. It’s not one or the other.

WesternHermann59

5 Year Member
Spring, Texas
Thank you! Yours is too. How old is he/she and how much does it weigh? Mine (named Green T. Mochi) is smaller and lighter than I expected for a 6 month old which makes me wonder about his real age...

Ella’s Gigi

5 Year Member
Black Forest, Colorado
Mine is only 3 months old. His colors look beige at time and others very yellow. I don’t know how much he weighs but he’s very small which I wanted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not a big fan of those types of gauges you have on the wall of the enclosure. For one thing, they are measuring the temperature too high, not down at tortoise level. And for another thing, they're not terribly accurate.

WesternHermann59

5 Year Member
Spring, Texas
I'm not a big fan of those types of gauges you have on the wall of the enclosure. For one thing, they are measuring the temperature too high, not down at tortoise level. And for another thing, they're not terribly accurate.
I agree! We are now using temperature and humidity probes.

HoosierTort

Indianapolis

I added two free windows off Craigslist and just prop them up a little or a lot depending on humidity. IMG_4275.jpg