Creating a hatchling habitat

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Hey everyone. :)

So it looks like I will be getting a little hatchling Hermanns (hopefully a Dalmatian) and was just looking for some input on setting up my little one's habitat.

I have a under the bed style plastic box...its 43"x19"x6". Would this work?

What should I make the lid out of? It needs to let heat/uvb through but keep kitties out.

Bedding preferences? We use Eco Earth in the pet store I work in, but I hate the mess and pulling little strings off all the time. If it's the best for them, I'll use it, but I'd love other suggestions.

Would a 100w MVB be too much for the container?

I know humidity and daily soaks are important...what humidity level should I be aiming for?

Any other tips?

Thanks all! I'm so excited! :D

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
So for substrate, after some research, I am thinking 2 parts ecoearth, 1 part organic topsoil, and 1 part sphagnum moss. Does this sound good for a baby Hermanns? They won't try to eat the moss will they?

Also, one site recommended Hermit crabs...what?! Can someone explain this to me? Is it safe?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Still haven't gotten any responses, so I'm going to post the work I got done today...hopefully you all will tell me if something is wrong. :p

I made my substrate. It's two parts eco earth, 1 part miracle gro organic potting soil, 1 part sphagnum moss all mixed together. Then some extra sphagnum on top for humidity purposes. Water dish is in there. I underestimated the size, lol, but oh well. I plan on getting some rocks to put in front on it to reduce tracking. There's one little hide on the cool side. The random square of moss in the middle is where his big hide will be, I still need to buy that. The right side is for basking...need a stone for him to bask on and lights still. I also have a few pots to plant seeds in...any suggestions on what to use? Also working on a screen opening for the light/keeping out cats.

Still need thermometers and other random things, but I've got at least 1.5-2 months before my tort gets here. I just wanted to get plants growing and temps and humidity stable first.

Please let me know if you see anything bad or have any ideas. :) And please excuse my messy living room...we're in the process of rearranging furniture this week. :p

Attachments

• 1381469709167.jpg
    1381469709167.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 257
  • 1381469725365.jpg
    1381469725365.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 1381469738775.jpg
    1381469738775.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 1381469752925.jpg
    1381469752925.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 1381469767890.jpg
    1381469767890.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 1381469786212.jpg
    1381469786212.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 224
  • 1381469797969.jpg
    1381469797969.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 1381469813931.jpg
    1381469813931.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 224

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
To me, that little habitat looks fabulous!
Hmmm, Hermit crabs? Dunno. Maybe to keep it bug free? Hopefully more knowledgeable peeps will chime in.
Yay for your new baby Hermann tortoise, Dalmatian edition, LOL. : )

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
StarSapphire22 said:
Does anyone have any lamp stands they recommend?

I like the ZooMed light stand. They come in two different sizes. I use the large size on my enclosures. Petmountain.com and Amazon.com usually have the best price.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Re: RE: Creating a hatchling habitat

Carol S said:
StarSapphire22 said:
Does anyone have any lamp stands they recommend?

I like the ZooMed light stand. They come in two different sizes. I use the large size on my enclosures. Petmountain.com and Amazon.com usually have the best price.

Thanks! :)

And thanks BeeBee! I'm so excited! :D (Can you tell? Haha!)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Finished my screening today! And I did it almost all by myself. ^.^

This one came loose overnight, so I reattached that. (My fiance put that one on last night and was really struggling with it....so when it came loose he practically had a seizure. "You fix it," he says. "I held that thing down for a half hour." So I glued it, stuck it on, asked him to hold it and ran and got clips and stuck them on and walked away. His face was PRICELESS. XD )
1381524859550.jpg

All done!
1381525132830.jpg
1381525155608.jpg
1381525179874.jpg

Kitty proof! This one is my youngest. He's 5 months old and NAUGHTY. :p
1381525265415.jpg

Going online seed shopping soon. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry. I'm just seeing this thread today.

I think that box is much too shallow and low sided. It will be much too dry and your baby will pyramid, unless your whole room is very humid.

Large juveniles that have a well established smooth growth pattern, or adults will do fine in a low sided, opened topped enclosure like that one, or a tortoise table. A hatchling in a shallow tub like that is going to be breathing dry air and have an overly dry shell. I would get something with much taller sides, monitor your humidity level and cover or partially cover your top to get the desired humidity levels. Remember that hermanni are generally a coastal Mediterranean species and as such the dry air that we have in our heated and air conditioned homes, under a heat lamp, is just not humid enough. We need to build our enclosures to compensate for these factors. I'm not saying keep it tropical rainforest wet in there. I'm saying typical ambient humidity in a normal house is going to be too low, and a tortoise table or low sided box like that will not hold in any additional humidity.

Also, once you add 3-4" of substrate, he might be able to climb out once he grows a little.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Hi Tom!

It is mostly covered with the plastic lid, just a hole cut for lighting...there's pictures of the lid farther down in the thread if you missed them. I sphagnumed the crap out of it too, and between that and my eco earth/soil/sphagnum substrate I've actually been holding humidity surprisingly well. Last night after set up with freshly soaked eco earth, I was at 97ish. Today I've been holding around 85. This will go down as my substrate dries a bit Im sure, but between daily mistings, plant watering, and weekly substrate wettings (if needed) I'm pretty confident humidity won't be an issue. Though, this is why I set it up so far in advance. To test it and work out kinks. :) I'll keep an eye on it, and change containers if I need to though. He will also be getting plenty of baths.

As far as climbing out, we aren't getting him for 2 months or so probably, and he'll only be in here until Spring. We'll move him to a larger setup then. Plus, the lid locks on the ends. I'll be securing the middle down as well, just in case.

What humidity should I be aiming for? Any other tips?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Any tips on what seeds to plant in my pots? Preferably something I don't need to buy by the pound? I just can't find one I like.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
I have ordered from here and loved it.... They grew quick too. You should get a small or medium size and see how you like it too. I'm actually going to buy more soon :)

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
ILoveTortoises2 said:
I have ordered from here and loved it.... They grew quick too. You should get a small or medium size and see how you like it too. I'm actually going to buy more soon :)

What is "here"? [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

That setup will do fine temporarily, but Tom is right, need higher sides. My neighbor is building me a custom closed chamber, sorta like this....
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381603790.375023.jpg

Tom, everyone, input, ideas, dimensions, etc???? I'm thinking 3' long and 2' wide, but no glass on sides, only front, and sealing to make water proof.

-------
Sandy
Oregon-Washington Tortoise Rescue

Mo the Sulcata (4.8 lbs)
Oliver the Sulcata (50 lbs)
Larry the Jordanian Greek
Curly the Eastern Hermanni
....baby Sulcata Franklin on the way!
Lola the Basenji
Dexter the Basenji
John the boyfriend stuck in Kansas...so I get more tortoises!

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I have plans to build a 3x8 and divide it. It would be a table setup, with a lid while hes little. I'm open to other ideas, but we aren't the handiest of people, so I need something fairly easy to build. We've never done something like this before.

The bin is only for a couple months while we save up for and perfect our table and work on clearing space for a big table.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
SenjiSandy said:
ILoveTortoises2 said:

What is "here"? [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

That setup will do fine temporarily, but Tom is right, need higher sides. My neighbor is building me a custom closed chamber, sorta like this....

Tom, everyone, input, ideas, dimensions, etc???? I'm thinking 3' long and 2' wide, but no glass on sides, only front, and sealing to make water proof.

-------
Sandy
Oregon-Washington Tortoise Rescue

Mo the Sulcata (4.8 lbs)
Oliver the Sulcata (50 lbs)
Larry the Jordanian Greek
Curly the Eastern Hermanni
....baby Sulcata Franklin on the way!
Lola the Basenji
Dexter the Basenji
John the boyfriend stuck in Kansas...so I get more tortoises!

Ohh WoW.. That is exactly how I wanted my enclosure but came out different. I don't have all the tools I needed to do this. Wish I had someone that could make this for me I would pay them LOL :p

StarSapphire22 said:
I have plans to build a 3x8 and divide it. It would be a table setup, with a lid while hes little. I'm open to other ideas, but we aren't the handiest of people, so I need something fairly easy to build. We've never done something like this before.

The bin is only for a couple months while we save up for and perfect our table and work on clearing space for a big table.

I'm not handy. I did want my enclosure to look like the photo above your last comment but this is how it came out. Even though it looks good It really isn't what I wanted. But maybe I'll do something different next year or after Christmas but I deff would like to make 1 like that photo. I did this all by myself. My hubby held some pieces together but that was it. This was easy to do :)

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-77503.html

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Baby steps right? Tom knows better. But if this is just for a few months, hopefully that is fine until then.
I get wheat berries at the health food store and grow those. Also, thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good place to double check the things you want to have your tortoise eat but your not quite sure if they are safe. Also, of course, asking here for input. Yay on your new adventure with your little tortoise. They kinda make us better gardeners and better carpenters along the way, LOL! : )

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Re: RE: Creating a hatchling habitat

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Baby steps right? Tom knows better. But if this is just for a few months, hopefully that is fine until then.
I get wheat berries at the health food store and grow those. Also, thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good place to double check the things you want to have your tortoise eat but your not quite sure if they are safe. Also, of course, asking here for input. Yay on your new adventure with your little tortoise. They kinda make us better gardeners and better carpenters along the way, LOL! : )

I have found the tortoise table site...what a great resource! I just want something that's a bit low growing, somewhat pretty (just not ugly really), and that I don't have to buy in 25,000 seeds at a time! :p That's a bit excessive for 4 4-inch pots, dontcha think? :D

It is definitely an adventure. He won't even hatch until the end of the month or so, and it's already been quite the learning experience! :)

I found this setup on another thread...it's obviously overcrowded, and looks (to me) a bit structurally iffy...but I'm in love with the idea. I think with some modifications, it would be perfect.
1381631774341.jpg
I could make the lower level more chamber-y for while he's little and seal off the top. Then the top would be more like a table, with a screened top to keep out kitties. I'll see if I can sketch up some plans...I was thinking 3'w x 6'l x 4'h. This wouldn't be an easy build though. I think I'd have to call in my stepdad for help, lol.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Something like this? Though now that I look at it that middle ramp is kindof unnecessary, haha. Don't wanna resketch it though. :p Hopefully y'all get the idea. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• 1381646044720.jpg
    1381646044720.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 146

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Thought about it more, and leaving the center of the chamber ramp free means room to hang the lights, so I should keep that middle ramp. Would drilling a small hole in the back for cords be ok?

I just sent my sketch to my stepdad, waiting to hear what he says. Let me know if there's anything you guys would tweak that I should tell him.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Could a mod maybe move this to the enclosures forum please? I feel like that is a more appropriate home for this thread now.