Res turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nosey_Leo_me

5 Year Member
Res turtle care

Please help Iam a newbie at taking care of turtles especially since my last one died quickly and also can someone give me pointers on how to take care of them I would greatly appreciate it
T,N & L

Gerards

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
RE: Res turtle care

Nosey_Leo_me said:
Please help Iam a newbie at taking care of turtles especially since my last one died quickly and also can someone give me pointers on how to take care of them I would greatly appreciate it
T,N & L

Stop getting turtles until you learn about them. Check out chelonia.org, they have a lot of good info.

http://chelonia.org/Articles/bcwaterturtles.htm

Good luck!

Nosey_Leo_me

5 Year Member
Hi again sorry for posting the same things over again but can you tell me how long my res turtles can go without eating

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

This is a great reference.....please do not skip on reading all, it is important, especially if you are new at turtle care along with you mentioned you have had a turtle die while in your care....

You will need as large of a tank as possible; you will need a good filter that will filter the water (if you have a 40 gallon tank, you will want a filter that will filter at least 80 gallons per hour but better 120 gallons + per hour----RESs are messy little buggers)
You will need a water heater (78 degrees is a good temp for the water); you will need a basking spot that your turtle can completely come out of the water to bask and completely dry off; RESs are so carnivorous when they are young---nightcrawler worms as well as some of the freeze dried turtle bugs (crickets, mealworms, river shrimp) are a favorite and will be eaten quickly and like a feeding frenzy....so you may want to try this....they also need some hiding places if they are young; I would not use a bunch of substrate when they are young---I would not use any substrate, plus it is easier for cleaning :D

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
Ive never tested it but i'm guessing about a week but i dont reccomend not feeding them for that long. :)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Nosey_Leo_me said:
Hi again sorry for posting the same things over again but can you tell me how long my res turtles can go without eating

Why do you ask? Is your turtle not eating?

Nosey_Leo_me

5 Year Member

ascott said:
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

This is a great reference.....please do not skip on reading all, it is important, especially if you are new at turtle care along with you mentioned you have had a turtle die while in your care....

You will need as large of a tank as possible; you will need a good filter that will filter the water (if you have a 40 gallon tank, you will want a filter that will filter at least 80 gallons per hour but better 120 gallons + per hour----RESs are messy little buggers)
You will need a water heater (78 degrees is a good temp for the water); you will need a basking spot that your turtle can completely come out of the water to bask and completely dry off; RESs are so carnivorous when they are young---nightcrawler worms as well as some of the freeze dried turtle bugs (crickets, mealworms, river shrimp) are a favorite and will be eaten quickly and like a feeding frenzy....so you may want to try this....they also need some hiding places if they are young; I would not use a bunch of substrate when they are young---I would not use any substrate, plus it is easier for cleaning :D

What is substrate ?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Substrate in an aquatic enclosure would be for example; rocks, sand and such--designed especially for water :D

I personally prefer to not use any substrate because it collects alot of dirty particles and it is much more difficult to clean...and I have Red Ear Sliders which are a dirty little turtle ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.