RES care & enclosure

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Is there bad info about them? What shouldn't I buy from a pet store :)

Deb82

5 Year Member
That size tank will do you for a little while should you be getting a hatchling or small yearling RES, but you will definitely need something bigger in the near future. RES get big, especially females. I wouldn't house a single female in anything less than a 100gal and a 75 for a single male.
Here is a good care sheet...
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm
Good luck! :)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
That size tank will do you for a little while should you be getting a hatchling or small yearling RES, but you will definitely need something bigger in the near future. RES get big, especially females. I wouldn't house a single female in anything less than a 100gal and a 75 for a single male.
Here is a good care sheet...
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm
Good luck! :)
Is there a way to tell males from females when they are small, I looked at the measurements of a 75 gal & the custom tank, the custom tank is larger by 1131 in squared, so can I use it for an adult or should I focus more on depth? I'm thinking of buying a single male (since they are a lot smaller)... Thanks a lot!

Deb82

5 Year Member
It's extremely hard to tell when they are young if they are male or female. Both my RES and YBS were nearly impossible. My RES was distinguishable at 4 yrs old and my YBS at just under 3yrs old. My CGT was the only hatchling that I could pretty well tell was male right from the get and I think that was pure luck and a good educated guess.

http://www.redearslider.com/determining_sex.html

Deb82

5 Year Member
Sliders in general are excellent swimmers and a good depth with a nice land area for basking will equal a happy slider. I have three tanks in my house a 300 gal for my two sliders A 200 gal for a pair of painteds and a pair of Mississippi maps. And a 75 that is up and running for my CGT only because I had an aggression issue with him and my YBS :(

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Sliders in general are excellent swimmers and a good depth with a nice land area for basking will equal a happy slider. I have three tanks in my house a 300 gal for my two sliders A 200 gal for a pair of painteds and a pair of Mississippi maps. And a 75 that is up and running for my CGT only because I had an aggression issue with him and my YBS :(
No need to trim the claws right, yikes! They are sharp :D

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Oh no, please don't do that. Remember this is an aquatic turtle....you will not be handling the turtle much so the nails won't be an issue....:D
Ok, that was expected...

Turtlepete

South Florida
One thing I'll add, it was mentioned here about a single female needing only 100....This is totally wrong. A female RES can grow to 12 inches, sometimes bigger. I had a 9 1/2" female recently that made a 300 gallon 8'x30" pond look small. And it was. Do NOT get a RES if you don't intend to provide them with a large outdoor pond.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
One thing I'll add, it was mentioned here about a single female needing only 100....This is totally wrong. A female RES can grow to 12 inches, sometimes bigger. I had a 9 1/2" female recently that made a 300 gallon 8'x30" pond look small. And it was. Do NOT get a RES if you don't intend to provide them with a large outdoor pond.
Outdoor ponds are impossible here (reaches more than 43 C here), but will it be cruel housing a RES in there? It will be the best I can provide & I know that pet stores are going to sell them to unsuspecting people and the torts will die in their care (tiny tank, no light, no UVB, etc.) is there a way to pick a male when they are small? The care I will be providing will be better than any pet store's/uniformed customer's care... what do you suggest?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
In your part of the world your outdoor temperature is a awesome place for a slider . I would make an outdoor pond witch is way easier to maintain. I keep two sliders in a 150 gallon pond kit year around . But again I live in Texas they are everywhere here in the wild . My temperature in summer can get to over one hundred degrees and in the winter drop to thirty degrees Fahrenheit. So why would you want to clean an aquarium weekly . Sliders can get stinky in the house .
All you will have to do is provide a nice shady area and pump the water through a filtering system which will keep the water moving an keep it cool . The deeper the pond the better I would go at lest three feet .

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
In your part of the world your outdoor temperature is a awesome place for a slider . I would make an outdoor pond witch is way easier to maintain. I keep two sliders in a 150 gallon pond kit year around . But again I live in Texas they are everywhere here in the wild . My temperature in summer can get to over one hundred degrees and in the winter drop to thirty degrees Fahrenheit. So why would you want to clean an aquarium weekly . Sliders can get stinky in the house .
All you will have to do is provide a nice shady area and pump the water through a filtering system which will keep the water moving an keep it cool . The deeper the pond the better I would go at lest three feet .
Is it perfect? the outdoor temp in summer may reach 116.6 F! I'm afraid the slider will die, is that possible? Will ponds work?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes as long as it has shade and moving water .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Check out my pond .

Attachments

• 1406247761570.jpg
    1406247761570.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 13

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
It's just too worrying, you know? So I should go aquarium till it grows up right?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I didn't put my sliders out until they got to be five inches or so

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
How do I maintain a pond? Any good guides? Am so careful about where I get animal information now a days :)