Regarding enclosure and lighting

Lyssa444

Location (City and/or State)
Gardena
Hello! I’m new to owning a tortoise and not much experienced on it. I was wondering on how their enclosure should be like? I’m not too sure if I have mine set up correctly. The docs weren’t much help. I have my baby sulcata in a tub that I got from Home Depot. It’s an open top and I only use one light. I was wondering how can I make a top part for it? And if I need to add more lights and what kind of lights are appropriate for them. Since it’s a lot harder to maintain his humidity I have to keep spraying every few mins. The help is really appreciated

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
You have provided little to no information but are asking for answers to everything. Please post pictures of your setup and tell us exactly what light you using. We can definitely help but you need to help us first.

Lyssa444

Gardena
The tub I use is a plastic concrete mixing tray. I have a uvb/uva light, but forgot the brand and how many watts it produces. During the day it stays at 80-90 degrees and at night I use a 60 watt ceramic heat. I have a blanket that covers the front of the tub, but that’s about it.

Attachments

• C8BDBE33-6862-43D0-BBDD-53D75FAC0A06.jpeg
    C8BDBE33-6862-43D0-BBDD-53D75FAC0A06.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 4E35B778-A5AC-4F39-BF2A-12D51E66B342.jpeg
    4E35B778-A5AC-4F39-BF2A-12D51E66B342.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 9E790D3F-149D-49C6-8B0E-0B2744D95510.jpeg
    9E790D3F-149D-49C6-8B0E-0B2744D95510.jpeg
    915.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 969F2434-6703-4035-B84A-3F9AD7DF29D3.jpeg
    969F2434-6703-4035-B84A-3F9AD7DF29D3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi!

There are things you can do to improve his enclosure for now, but it will be very soon that you need to give him a lot more space. So first you need to decide whether to upgrade now or in a couple months.

First, read this care sheet. It will tell you what you're aiming for as far as temp, humidity, substrate, etc.

You are correct that you need a closed chamber type enclosure. For now, do you have the lid that came with your bin? We can work with it if you do.

Or, upgrade now. Read this post that I wrote a while back. It shows the types of ways that keepers enclose their habitats. The very best is one of Mark's enclosures. You can PM him at @Markw84 .

You will also see a grow tent. They are ordered from Amazon, and work well. They are available in different sizes. They get turned onto their sides for tort use, so the height is actually the length of the enclosure.

Read and then come back with the answer about the lid, and questions about the enclosures. We can go from there.

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata:

Lyssa444

Gardena
Hi!

There are things you can do to improve his enclosure for now, but it will be very soon that you need to give him a lot more space. So first you need to decide whether to upgrade now or in a couple months.

First, read this care sheet. It will tell you what you're aiming for as far as temp, humidity, substrate, etc.

You are correct that you need a closed chamber type enclosure. For now, do you have the lid that came with your bin? We can work with it if you do.

Or, upgrade now. Read this post that I wrote a while back. It shows the types of ways that keepers enclose their habitats. The very best is one of Mark's enclosures. You can PM him at @Markw84 .

You will also see a grow tent. They are ordered from Amazon, and work well. They are available in different sizes. They get turned onto their sides for tort use, so the height is actually the length of the enclosure.

Read and then come back with the answer about the lid, and questions about the enclosures. We can go from there.

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata:
Thank you! Much appreciated! I have looked into the closed chamber that zoomed has, but I feel like it’s too small. The bin didn’t come with a lid, and read that shower curtains are used at times? But idk how to feel about that.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Thank you! Much appreciated! I have looked into the closed chamber that zoomed has, but I feel like it’s too small. The bin didn’t come with a lid, and read that shower curtains are used at times? But idk how to feel about that.
ZooMed's chamber is too small. You'd be replacing it in a month.

I guess it comes down to finances. The best enclosure is one of Mark's. He builds them with fixtures already in, 4ft x 3ft, they are "smart" enclosures you can monitor and control with your smartphone. And they are expandable. Excellence all around. You would have to check with him re' price.

You can buy a grow tent for around $100 give or take. They work well, and if you get one big enough, you can use it until your tort lives outside full time.

You can use a shower curtain, but it's only a stopgap measure. You don't want it for 2 years I don't think.

Check out that link I posted...that will help.

Lyssa444

Gardena
ZooMed's chamber is too small. You'd be replacing it in a month.

I guess it comes down to finances. The best enclosure is one of Mark's. He builds them with fixtures already in, 4ft x 3ft, they are "smart" enclosures you can monitor and control with your smartphone. And they are expandable. Excellence all around. You would have to check with him re' price.

You can buy a grow tent for around $100 give or take. They work well, and if you get one big enough, you can use it until your tort lives outside full time.

You can use a shower curtain, but it's only a stopgap measure. You don't want it for 2 years I don't think.

Check out that link I posted...that will help.
Thank you! Will do ?